problems after uninstalling norton..please help!

BeeWee 22:04 25 Feb 03

bought norton online so have no disc. have d/l avg (free) so have uninstalled norton. am now riddled with probs on start up. i am getting pages of messages e.g "cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application. the windows registry or system ini.file refers to this device file but it no longer exists. if you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstall or set up prog. if you still want to use the app. associated with this device file try reinstalling that app to replace the missing file..then the following:
norton navap vxd
norton savrt.vxd

BeeWee 22:15 25 Feb 03

i am totally un technical but have managed to look in the registry undre HKEY_CLASSES.ROOTS and have found a lot of norton there...would it be safe to delete them all and would it mean the end to my problems?

MAJ 22:19 25 Feb 03

Backup your registry first, BeeWee.

BeeWee 22:26 25 Feb 03

i have done this MAJ ...can i now go ahead and delete? i am having all sorts of other freezing up..have booted up in safe mode and followed windows troubleshooter but i still get these pages of messages and "press any key to continue" :((((

Nellie2 22:33 25 Feb 03

To uninstall your version of Norton manually click here and select your version and OS but like MAJ said, back up your registry first

MAJ 22:33 25 Feb 03

It wont do any harm removing them, BeeWee. Now that you have the registry backed up, you can restore it if necessary. Make sure you have searched all the registry and have located them all.

BeeWee 23:07 25 Feb 03

have deleted all those keys from the registry but it hasn't helped! will have to do something more drastic tomorrow!!!

MAJ 23:14 25 Feb 03

Try one of these solutions, BeeWee. As I'm not sure which part of Norton you have installed, AV, Firewall etc. I can't narrow it down any further.

click here=

MAJ 23:16 25 Feb 03

I just knew that link wouldn't work properly. I've just noticed Nellie2's post above, try it first.

http:// click here=

BeeWee 23:18 25 Feb 03

thank you MAJ and nellie

MAJ 23:18 25 Feb 03

I give up on that link, type, uninstall norton, into Google, BeeWee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…