problems after reinstalling windows

rogermatthews 19:24 25 Jun 09

Hi All

Having spent a week tracking down a faulty graphics card and replacing it, I was finally able to reinstall windows XP today. Reinstall went fine but immediate hassles

First, I cannot connect to the internet. Connection is via wireless modem router, plugged into my machine. Normally after a reinstall it recognises it immediately, but no luck this time. If I simply move the cable into another machine (the one I'm using now) all is fine, while other PCs on the network have no problem. Even trying to connect via a USB wireless thingy doesn't work.

Second, as soon as I install my sound card, booting doesn't get any further than the screen inviting me to 'press del to enter setup, esc to show POST' etc - you know the one I mean. It just sits there doing nothing. Remove the sound card and all is well.

So, having spent a week wondering whether the mobo had gone, I'm back in the same postion - has something affected the mobo which has blown everything?

I'm getting really, really fed up! But any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Roger

phono 19:44 25 Jun 09

"Normally after a reinstall it recognises it immediately, but no luck this time."

Hi Roger, have you installed the XP service packs and updates and what version is the installed service pack if any? If it is SP2 there is a known issue and a fix for it, post back with the SP version you have.

Also check for an updated driver for the network card or on-board network device.

"as soon as I install my sound card, booting doesn't get any further than the screen inviting me to 'press del"

If you do press Del does the system enter the BIOS setup screen or does it remain frozen?

Does the motherboard have on-board sound? If it does is it disabled in the BIOS? Can you test the sound card in another PC to make sure it is working okay? Try plugging the sound card into another PCI slot and see if the system now POSTs properly and boots.

rogermatthews 20:23 25 Jun 09

HI phono

1. XP Home with SP2. But it's never given a problem before when I've reinstalled (lots of times) Still, I'd be interested to know of the conflict

2. Will check for an updated driver though it shouldn't be that - to have done that on previous installs requires the internet, and that's what I can't get!

3. When it 'hangs' it doesn't respond to any keys, though if I press (TAB) quickly enough on start up I get the POST. Once it stopped at 'checking for IDE ...' (or similar) so I removed the IDE connections, no luck. I'll try this again and see where it 'hangs' on POST

4. Already tried another PCI slot for sound card, same problem

But I'll try the other two things, I'll disable the sound in the bios, and check the card out in another PC (tomorrow, when the wife's out). That's the logical step to see whether it's the card or something else (mobo I fear, but just guessing)

Thanks for all the advice, any more appreciated

Roger

phono 20:57 25 Jun 09

"1. XP Home with SP2. But it's never given a problem before when I've reinstalled (lots of times) Still, I'd be interested to know of the conflict"

See this article and download link click here have to admit that it is only for wireless though, I missed the bit about using Ethernet in your initial post.

Try loading the BIOS failsafe defaults and see if you have any more luck.

rogermatthews 21:22 25 Jun 09

Hi phono - great minds thinking along similar lines! (well, yours may be a great mind, not mine!)

Actually, I HAD loaded fail safe bios defaults when I was having earlier problems. It occurred to me (in the shower) that I should go back to OPTIMISED defaults. After that I got back on windows and reloaded the mobo drivers - this time I noticed it loading ethernet drivers (something I don't recall before).

Now I'm posting from my internet connection!

So one down, maybe this will sort out the soundcard problem, though it's getting a bit late to fiddle around tonight. I'll let you know tomorrow

But thank you very, very much

Roger

phono 21:37 25 Jun 09

"After that I got back on windows and reloaded the mobo drivers"

That will certainly help system stability but unless a BIOS setting has changed which will allow the system to POST with the soundcard installed I can't see it solving that problem, however, as you are now using optimised settings it may well work.

Keep me posted.

rogermatthews 07:52 26 Jun 09

Good morning, phono.

Yes, card installed fine this morning, no up and running. It must have been the fail-safe bios setting. Again, not something which would have instantly occurred to me.

These problems and solutions are definitely ones to be stored away by me for future reference.

I'm off now to install all my progs. Thank you very much indeed for all your help.

Roger

phono 00:48 27 Jun 09

Glad to hear that all is now well, it was a pleasure helping and don't hesitate to ask again if needs be. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…