//some 3rd party need geo

Problems after increasing memory

SB23 20:19 21 Oct 03

On behalf of a friend coz she has no computer,i would like to know the procedure for increasing the memory size of a system
A local repairer did the job for her,in total, took only a few minutes.All seemed well,till she tried to re-start the system.After a few attempts the system came on,but wouldn't do anything coz it didn't have enough memory.He came back,only to completly re-format(or whatever) the hard drive,he put everything back on,still with no effect.He has now taken it away,and she has been told that it'll be about 10 days before she gets it back.Surely it's not that difficult,is it?
Any help I will pass on...Thanx
PS She runs Windows 95

PA28 20:25 21 Oct 03

It's actually very easy, provided that the memory is the right one for the motherboard. In some older boards memory modules had to be installed in pairs for it to work. Modules can be fussy on combinations and slots. Results are instant - it either works or it doesn't. 10 days??????

Tog 20:28 21 Oct 03

Check the hardware (motherboard/number of slots/current memory type) and operating system can handle it.

Buy the correct type and amount of memory.

Check the BIOS configuration is optimal.

Plug it in and say "yeehaa"

yuffy 22:10 21 Oct 03

"Check the hardware (motherboard/number of slots/current memory type) and operating system can handle it.
Buy the correct type and amount of memory.

Check the BIOS configuration is optimal.

Plug it in and say "yeehaa" "
Which of course he/she would not know what you are talking about.

Whilst the above is true, in simple terms the person that you took this PC too should have known this.
There are all types of memory cards, it may be that the wrong has been installed.
Ten days to sort out the problem, if it was working fine prior to the memory upgrade, is suspicious.
Get the PC back & go somewhere else.
Check this link to see how simple it should have been for him to install the right memory & also how many different types there are.

click here

SB23 18:31 22 Oct 03

Had already suggested she gets pc back,I might be a beginner etc,etc,but I knew it wasn't that difficult.Gonna go elsewhere abit more better known.Thanks everyone...SB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…