Problems with advice on PCA.

birdface 01:00 22 Jan 07

Since I downloaded Mcafee site advisor,I have been following a few problems from folk looking for advice on here,Unfortunately when I follow the click here,I am sent to a site that flashes the red light from Mcafee.In other words,[ Do not open this site,]Members will automatically enter those sites because they are advised to,Is mcafee a bit over the top with security.Or should we just ignore it,I know that everyone on here gives there time freely.But when I advised someone that they were advising folk to go to there [Click Here]And it was showing the red warning , that it had been reported to be a site downloading unwanted adware Spyware problems,I was told to run my Anti-Virus before downloading ,What happens to the folk that don't know that it is a bad site,And downloads anyway,Is Mcafee Site Advisor to be trusted,And should more of us be using it.I hope this does not offend anyone,It is just something that I have been thinking about for a while,Although it happens very seldom,What can we do to stop it,Only writing this because it happened again to night.

pac73 01:31 22 Jan 07

Ive got SiteAdvisor.What i usually do is look at the site if its been flagged red,but i dont download anything.I guess its up to you,but why risk it.There must be an alternative site for the download or fix your after.

birdface 10:17 22 Jan 07

Exactly what I was on about,We know not to enter that site,,But the folk that dont have Mcafee will not know,If anyone would like to download it,It takes up very little room on your toolbar and will warn you of bad sites.click here

ACOLYTE 10:27 22 Jan 07

Siteadvisor is a nice little bit of software,but the only fault with it as i can see is it relies on feedback from others,and some people are a little more cautious than others and will flag the slightest little thing as bad.Your best bet as i do is make your own choice and use common sence as to what you think is harmfull and bad for your pc.Most sites are flagged because they have links from the site to other not so good sites so called red sites,or they have a large email content,spammy sites.

But i agree with what you say those that dont get forwarned about this may indeed click on the wrong thing,but if there pc is upto date with the latest protection this should also help.

birdface 11:11 22 Jan 07

I think that you are spot on,On what you say,I just thought that little bit of Extra warning would give folk a better choice of good sites to download from.You cant be to carefull out there.

Stuartli 11:20 22 Jan 07

If you download SiteAdvisor (it's excellent) remember that there are different versions for IE and for browsers such as Firefox.

birdface 11:32 22 Jan 07

Thanks Stuartli,I meant to add that bit on but I forgot.

Belatucadrus 11:47 22 Jan 07

SiteAdvisor doesn't rely on feedback to give the safety colour rating, that's dependent on their own test procedures for spyware in the downloads, links to other sites and spam on registration. The review comments are as you say from independent reviewers, the main problem is once placed you can't revise or delete them, so it's quite possible for outdated comments to lurk ad infinitum. It's also possible for software like EverestLabs anti spyware prog to have a green rating, despite the fact that it's orphanware thats development has died and hasn't been updated for the better part of a year. A safe rating is no guarantee of a quality download.
It's a very good tool and I don't think I'd download anything from a site that was flagged red, but it's just a tool offering guidance, read the comments and make up your own mind. Never ever disconnect brain because some software or other says something's safe.

Stuartli 11:54 22 Jan 07

>>EverestLabs anti spyware prog to have a green rating, despite the fact that it's orphanware thats development has died and hasn't been updated for the better part of a year.>>

You have to be careful that you are not confusing people with:

click here

Belatucadrus 16:47 22 Jan 07

EverestLabs click here produced a free anti spyware product called SpyDefense, this despite the shiny happy website is dead in the water and not to be recommended despite the green SiteAdvisor rating. This is what I was referring to and anyone who confused this with the Lavalys consulting group product called Everest which is a system analyser, please accept my deepest sympathies.

Stuartli 17:34 22 Jan 07

IIRC Lavalys bought out/took over Everest (of diagnostic software fame).

Everest 2.2 can still be downloaded from FileHippo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…