Problems with Ad-Aware SE update and Winzip :-(

Sabi 16:25 13 Jan 08

Hi everyone :-)

I have a problem with updating the Ad-Aware SE (free edition)!

At the moment the definition file loaded is: SE1R210 27.12.2007 but when I check “for update now” I get “No update components available” !!! However the “status” is ok in green!

I have looked in Lavasoft web site for new update and found SE1R212 07.01.1008, which I saved it on my desktop for download. However when I try to unzip or extract it , I get "Winzip" small window to purchase the product!!

I went to Winzip website for free download and found 3, one of which was for "standard Winzip” When I continued with typing my name, e-mail address etc, I noticed there was a cost for 50 Euro in last vertical column!! So I stopped! I only want to use it for updating Ad-Aware SE and don’t like to pay for it!

Does anyone know how I can get Winzip free? Or how to get the new Ad-Aware SE update?
I am not very technical with computers so please give simple instructions. Thank you :-)

Sabi
PS: I use windows XP, Zone Alarm SS V7, Ad-Aware SE 1.6r1, Window Explorer 6

VoG II 16:31 13 Jan 08

I don't understand why Windows won't unzip it but try click here

p;3 16:42 13 Jan 08

a shot in the dark BUT, as support has been withdrawn for Adaware se for platforms on Win 98 and ME ,might beg the question , HAS Lavasoft withdrawn ALL support FOR adaware se?
As you are running XP you may need to consider Adaware 2007

brundle 16:44 13 Jan 08

Another vote for 7Zip here. Your version of Adaware is out of date, why are you still using it? click here

p;3 16:53 13 Jan 08

some comments (among many)click here
click here

seems many are dissatisfied with the decision by Lavasoft to withdraw the adaware se product and ,
if I read this right, seems adaware se is 'defunct' now for ALL computers ::((

stylehurst 17:10 13 Jan 08

If you want to update the SE version then you will have to download the latest definitions file called defs.zip & dated 07/01/2008.
You unzip this file to replace the existing defs file in the Adawre folder.
The process works I have just done it for my machine after getting the same message as yourself

Sabi 19:14 13 Jan 08

Many thanks for all your replies

VoG; I didn't know windows could unzip file! Sorry not so good with software’s!
Incidentally; is there a known web site I can download from? I couldn't open that :-(

p;3 and brundle; Is Ad-Aware 2007 7.0.2.5 as good as Ad-Aware Personal SE? And if I want to download that do I need to get rid off AA SE first??

Stylehurst; the problem is that I cannot unzip or extract defs.zip!! As I mentioned; Winzip is asking for the software to be purchased which I don't want to pay!!!

Sabi :-(

Sabi 19:19 13 Jan 08

Many thanks for all your replies

VoG; I didn't know windows could unzip file! Sorry not so good with software’s!
Incidentally; is there a known web site I can download from? I couldn't open that :-(

p;3 and brundle; Is Ad-Aware 2007 7.0.2.5 as good as Ad-Aware Personal SE? And if I want to download that do I need to get rid off AA SE first??

Stylehurst; the problem is that I cannot unzip or extract defs.zip!! As I mentioned; Winzip is asking for the software to be purchased which I don't want to pay!!!

Sabi :-(

brundle 19:21 13 Jan 08

7zip click here

Uninstall the old Adaware version first.
click here

VCR97 19:49 13 Jan 08

Yesterday I did the same as you did, on three computers. Today, they are all back to SE1R210. Looks as if that update didn't "take".

Sabi 20:31 13 Jan 08

Thanks so much brundle :-)

I have saved 7zip on my desktop but when run and finish; I don't see any icon on the desktop!! Is that normal??

There is an icon for Winzip in system tray but I think is the old one, the one which asking to buy it!

Thanks again :-)

Sabi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now