Problems with accessing my 2nd internal dataHDD

terendak_uk 17:49 13 Dec 08

Hi,
I'd be very grateful for any advice re my problem:

Windows XP Pro.Sempron cpu
I have a slave HDD( 160Gb) on primary IDE that contains all my data. All was well for 2yrs but recently, when I opened it, I got a "Windows explorer has encountered an error.....needs to close..." message.
If I ignored the message ( left it hanging) I was still able to access the drive, no problem most of the time. However , sometimes it just froze.
So, I reformatted my primary drive/reinstalled Windows and all was well for a week. Then the same problem occurred.( sure, before this I did fdsk/scannow and also inserted the OS disc to repair: no change. I also checked the disk for errors....none)
I then bought an external USB HDD( 1 TB) and copied all data to it ( still getting the explorer "encounter" problem when I opened the internal data drive to copy data but, luckily, able to continue, if I ignored the message)
However, I now get the same error message when I open my external USB HDD.(
Strangely, I also have another external USB Lacie portable drive that never gives me any problems.
I have checked thro the archives here but cannot find anything that matches my problem.
Everything else is working well, including USB wireless adaptor and any USB memory stick I insert.
PS: I transferred the internal data drive so it was a slave on the secondary IDE and it worked well for a week...then I got the same error message!)
PS2: The new external and the internal data drives are NTFS formatted ( sure, when I bought it, the new external ITb drive was FAT but I reformatted it. The external USB Lacie 160Gb external is FAT32.....it never gives me problems.
Yes, my primary drive is NTFS-formatted.
Again, I'd be very grateful for any help.
If you got this far.....thank you, anyway!
best wishes,
carlos

bluesbrother 23:28 13 Dec 08

"Windows explorer has encountered an error.....needs to close..."
Perhaps the fault lies with Windows Explorer.
"all was well for a week", did you install anything at the end of that week?

terendak_uk 14:43 14 Dec 08

Nothing subsequently installed, originally.
The error message just started one day: I then did a reformat and XP re-install, as I said, and the error "just recurred". If the fault lies with Windows explorer I think I've done everything that I can to fix it, like running sfc \scannow?

terendak_uk 20:44 23 Jan 09

By me...
I am disappointed that PC Advisor could not suggest ways to resolve my problem.

Eventually, I just did this: Under Computer Management: Reformatting HDD to a Simple/dynamic structure.
Works very well......
I would be very grateful for any rationale behind what I have done.
Carl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…