Problems with VIA AC97 installation in Win 2000

onemadjock 16:55 25 Oct 03

I've just upgraded to Windows 2000 pro from 98 and has some major problems with my sound. My machine is a Time machine hence no drivers supplied with it. I've tried downloading drivers from the web but to no avail - even worse than that one time when trying to install the driver from VIA audio it said that i would have to enable the VIA AC97 chipset in the BIOS.

In the Upgrade report it classed the sound as VIA AC97 PCI Audio Device.

Thank you in advance and for your time

Ironman556 17:16 25 Oct 03

If it's telling you to enable sound in the BIOS it's probably detected onboard sound, but PCI Audio Device suggests that you've got a separate card.

Are you using onboard sound or a separate card? (A separate card will give you speaker connections towards the bottom of your PC (probably above or below your modem), onboard will give you the speaker connections on the thinner bit on the back where the mouse/keyboard plug in)

Work out which you're using, then you'll need to download the appropriate drivers. (Installation files will probably look for either onboard or separate sound)

click here download the personal edition and run it, look at the Audi Devices and post back what you find out. Once you've established the model of sound it should be easy to find the right drivers.

onemadjock 17:52 25 Oct 03

I had a look at the back of the system and the speakers seem to be below the serial and parallel inputs (its a tower system) which would suggest its onboard sound.

I download the aida system info and it said that the PCI device is:

VIA AC'97 Audio Controller [H] PCI

Rtus 18:09 25 Oct 03

May I suggest you visit your control panel and remove any sound card /drivers including the viaAC97 and reboot it will find the correct audio driver then Do make sure its enabled in the bios first though as your booting up.

onemadjock 18:27 25 Oct 03

Turns out i did a search on VIA AC'97 Audio Controller [H] and it turned out that there was a similar issue elsewhere and it was resolved by downloading the correct drivers.

Thank you as this was a major headache.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…