Problem with ZoneAlarm

roy 16:00 11 Sep 03

For the last 3 or 4 days I have found it almost impossible to visit this site as it ahs taken about 2 minutes to sign on and from 1.5 to 2 minutes to go to each thread or back to the Helproom. I have Zone Alarm on with settings at Medium and also have PCAdvisor in the site list under Privacy with all cookies allowed.

I have found that with Zone Alarm off I can sign on OK and all pages change rapidly as I would expect. (I am on Broadband).

Another point: I do not see the green bars underlining keywords with ZA on.

Does anyone else have these problems or how should I set ZA?

Incidentally, I also have PcAdvisor in my Internet Options/Privacy as 'Allow cookies'.

Another possible factor is that I deleted my Temporary Internet Files a few days ago and this could all have started from that.

Roy

naviator 17:22 11 Sep 03

I had a similar problem with this excellent firewall. In my case it gradually started to conflict with McAfee VirusScan. My solution was to delete it and use a firewall from from the McAfee stable since when I have had no further problem. Hope this helps!

Naviator

db0967 17:55 11 Sep 03

Roy,
I had this problem recently. Things speeded up when I deleted the temporary internet files. Don't know why, but it might be worth a try.
DB.

db0967 17:57 11 Sep 03

Sorry, didn't see your last line....

roy 18:36 11 Sep 03

naviator, db0967,

thanks for your responses.

keith-236785 19:08 11 Sep 03

My suggestion would be to uninstall zone alarm, restart your computer (disconect your modem first so it doesnt connect because without zone alarm you could be at risk)

then re-install zone alarm and leave all the settings as default.

please make sure before doing this that you have the zone alarm setup file on your computer, if not download it before starting.

good luck.

roy 19:27 11 Sep 03

paperman27

Thanks for that. I think I will give it a try.

Going out now for a drink so will look tomorrow if there are any further suggestions.

scooby43 16:56 12 Sep 03

sorry to hear have you had any more luck since?

roy 19:23 12 Sep 03

Just to update: I have been playing around a bit more with ZA settings and have found that the firewall setting has no effect on my problem but by turning off Cookie Control and Ad Blocking (it has to be both!) I am able to browse PcAdvisor's site alright.

The funny thing is that I was only getting the problem on this site, No problems with The Times, BBC or Amazon to name three!

Anyway, your advice appreciated and I will tick as resolved but if any other user of ZA has a comment I would be interested to hear it.

thms 19:38 12 Sep 03

Thanks for that roy I was having the same problem.

This only started a few days ago. Worked fine before that. I wonder if there has been anything altered on the site?

As you say it is only this site that is affected.

Did as you suggested and it is ok now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…