Problem with XP/Vista Boot

John1981 22:36 13 Apr 06

Hey Guys,

I hope you can help. I built my system just after xmas and I have had a problem ever since. 90% of the time when I boot the computer it runs through the post boot and then hangs on a black screen for 6 mins ish before showing the XP loader screen.
If I reboot the PC during startup after the postboot it will come up with the normal option to boot windows normally or boot in safe mode etc. If I select normally it will go to a black screen for 6 mins before showing the loader, if I select safe mode it boots without me having to wait 6 mins.

Funny thing is, the problem does not occur when I formatted the PC and installed Windows 2000 Pro. It only occurs with XP and the Beta version of Vista I briefly tested.

Im wondering if the problem is with Windows and the onboard NVIDIA nForce4 SATA or USB controller. I am using the drivers provided to me by MSI.

VoG II 22:41 13 Apr 06

Bootvis click here may help you find out what is slowing things down.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:23 13 Apr 06

Sounds like a driver problem, check you have the latest drivers for your equipment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…