Problem in XP

zipdrive 10:55 04 May 03

I am just wondering if any other XP users have had the same problem as myself recently?

Over the last 10 days or so XP will suddenly shut all the programs down and just leave me with a blank screen or lockup completely. If at the blank screen I can press CLRT+ALT+DEL and logoff and log back in again and carry one working. I have done all the normal things like virus scan, scandisk etc and no problems have been found.

The only thing I have recently done is removed an update for XP that other users reported was slowing their PC down.

Any ideas?

-pops- 11:04 04 May 03

Does your system restore enable you to revert to before this happened?

zipdrive 11:10 04 May 03

Thanks for the quick reply Pops

I have tried several system restore points and it had been unable to do it. I would add the problem seems to happen a lot more when I am one line.

I do have Zone Alarm and a broadband connection.

-pops- 11:43 04 May 03

Have you a good, up-to-date anti-virus? It doesn't sound like a virus but you can never tell.

Often lockups and sudden shutdowns are caused by power supply or overheating problems but, again, it doesn't sound like that as you are able to log in again straight away.

You say it happens more online but does this happen more when the processor is working hard like playing games, a DVD or audio CD?

rickf 11:52 04 May 03

How about reinstalling the update which you had deleted? If your comp was not slowed down, by the sound of it, why uninsatll it.

zipdrive 11:55 04 May 03

Thanks again POps

Yes my anti-virus is up to date. I am sure this is software related and not hardware.

I really dont want to format and re-install at this stage. I have about 10GB of data to backup.

I have just run Ad-aware 6 and its been slower than it ever been to scan. I have just removed 4 bits of spyware

zipdrive 11:56 04 May 03

RickF

Yes it did slow it down. Many users complained of the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…