Problem with XP

woodm01 21:50 10 Aug 03

I have a P4 3.06Ghz with 2 x 512mb memory sticks using DDR. I am also using a GeForce 5600 graphics card under Windows XP Professional.

The problem is when we run 3D games such as Flight Simulator etc we get errors such as IRQ_NOT_EQUAL and the system crashes.

I downloaded from Microsoft the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool which when testing the memory failed on the Stride6 test. I ran this program again using 1 memory stick installed at a time and all tests were fine but as soon as I put them both back in it fails. Can anyone help?

FRANKMAC 22:19 10 Aug 03

i know this may not help much but.....i run windows xp...... and used to have just 256mb ram.
I got a good deal on some memory and installed 2 x 512 mb strips, = total of nearly 1.3gb of ram, and then the problems started with lots of games, apparently some games do not work well with more than 512mb ram on win xp system, some game sites offer fixes (patches) to solve some of these problems. Hope you find a solution.

Djohn 22:32 10 Aug 03

Seeing that both sticks of memory work fine by themselves as individuals. It may be that they don't like each other, this is well known with memory.

Probably the best way to buy memory is in a matched pair, Crucial is a good site to buy from with a no quibble warranty. If you go to there site, then select the UK site, pop in the make of your motherboard, then the model, it will come back with the recommended type of memory. Buy two matching sticks and i think this will cure your problem j.

Djohn 22:33 10 Aug 03

Sorry forgot the link :o( click here

woodm01 22:41 10 Aug 03

Thanks for that link. Tried that and it confirmed that I am using the correct type of memory, this being:

2 x 512mb DDR (PC3200)

Any more ideas?

Djohn 23:09 10 Aug 03

I've done a search on the IRQ_NOT_EQUAL message, and this can be caused by many things, most point to software drivers, but the most common one is still pointing to the memory! Many solutions say that although each stick of memory will pass a test on it's own, when placed with another [working] stick it can come back with this fail message.

The test you have run yourself seems to confirm this. See if you can borrow a stick of memory and try it with each of your 2 sticks, see if this will cure the problem. Others will offer more suggestions for you to try, but this is all I can think of at the moment. Good luck, I'm sure it will be sorted for you soon j.

pc moron 23:12 10 Aug 03

This error seems to occur for a variety of reasons including memory issues, IRQ sharing etc.

This thread might be useful to you click here

JIM 23:25 10 Aug 03

Suggest following these steps to cause the system to stop rebooting as it may be worth trying to find out what the whole message states.IRQ_NOT_EQUAL etc.etc.

Use the right mouse button to click on "My computer"

Select "properties"

Click on the "advanced" tab

Click on the "startup and recovery" button

Uncheck the "automatically restart" box

Click "ok"

Click "ok" again

Reboot the machine

Allow the system to go through it's bootup sequence, and do your thing till the Blue Screen or crash happens.

Write down the full error message on the screen
if there is one and post it here.

Reverse the above later.

hugh-265156 02:15 11 Aug 03
  wotbus@ 21:13 11 Aug 03

Hi. You dont say anything about the mobo! Some are designed to support only a given amount of memory. I run XP/AMD3000+/512ddr/Radeon9700Pro and the PC is used mainly for FS2K2. The system handles everything I throw at it with all the sim settings on Max so I dont see why you should want to double your memory? I dont think your problem is here.

JoeC 21:26 11 Aug 03

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

click here

or

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…