Problem with wireless on Acer TravelMate 290E

Guady 18:44 05 Apr 08

I am trying to help a friend who is having problems with her internet access. Following a period of non-use, the laptop would not start Windows. We used the BackUp Disks which came with the laptop and Windows is now working okay. But - we cannot get any wireless connection at all. I did manage to get on to the Internet with the Router connected to the laptop by a cable, but as soon as we removed the cable, we lost the connection. The ISP (Ya.com - in spain) got us to try looking for the wireless connection and it has totally disappeared! They told me we would have to download and reinstall the Wireless Network Drivers. I have downloaded what I think are the right files from Acer (using my PC) and put them on a CD. But - what do I do now? I have never set up a wireless network and would really appreciate any advice anyone can give. Initially all this was done by my friend's husband, but he has recently died - and I would like to help her if at all possible. I have put this on both Networking and Helproom as not sure which area it should be in(sorry!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 05 Apr 08

1. You may have to switch the wireless card on, usually a key combination Fn + one of the F keys.
look for a picture of a wireless mast on one of the keys.

2. You may be lucky, once switch on it may inform you it has found a wireless network, if not then:
In control panel run the wireless connection wizard and follow the prompt to connect to your router

Dipso 00:54 06 Apr 08

I have an Acer 292LMi. The wireless is activated by a switch on the left hand side of the laptop, don't know if your friends is the same.

Do you know which wireless card it is? Mine has the Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG, if it is the same I would advise you get the drivers from the Intel site. Apart from them being more up to date than those supplied by Acer, there have been some security risks recently and the latest software/drivers resolve these.

Guady 09:44 06 Apr 08

Will have a go at locating the wireless switch - but when I was on the phone with the ISP, they asked me to type something in after clicking Configure: It was something like ##config? and they then said it showed that there was no wireless card (which there must be as it worked before!) or that the Drivers had disappeared.
I will also try to find out which wireless card the laptop has - at present I don't know but when I go there again, I'll see if I can find out. When / if I do manage to get the Drivers, how do I install them? Is it quite straightforward? I've only ever don this on my own PC, when it has started automatically I think - but clearly these files I've downloaded don't, otherwise they would have tried to do it on my PC which they didn't! I'm sorry to sound so clueless, but I really do appreciate your help and patience.

Dipso 09:57 06 Apr 08

They probably told you to go Start > Run > msconfig > type ipconfig /all which would identify any network adapters.

As none were showing I would go to Device MAnager, right click on My Computer > Properties and select Device Manager. Look down the list for any network aapters or any entries with a yellow exclamation mark against them.

If it is the Intel card which I have you go to the Intel site click here you can then download drivers only or software which will self install.

Post back if you have any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…