//some 3rd party need geo

Problem with Windows98se installation

Dassie 16:42 10 Oct 04

Last few days I have been trying to do a clean install of windows98 on my sons computer which was running on 95 over the last few years. It is an old Packard Bell P75 which I upgraded with an overdrive processor6yrs ago. Also has 32MB RAM, and 2 HD.
Installation was fine and when the final screen comes after the windows 98 logo etc. the screen goes all green with small sqaures and a blue line acroos and hangs up.
I can start in safe mode and starts 98 in the nomal mode after removing the display driver. But the problem recurs when the display driver is installed by plg & play.
Can someone help please.
Dassie

Diodorus Siculus 16:46 10 Oct 04

As I suggested in the other posting, have you got the correct drivers from the manufacturer? click here
Everest is a program that will ID your components if you don't know them.

Dassie 16:53 10 Oct 04

DC
That computer is upstairs and hasn't got an internet connection. I put my Fujitsu Siemens display monitor on that one last week when I uograded to a flat panel mnitor and windows 95 was working well on that.

Diodorus Siculus 16:55 10 Oct 04

Do you have an CD writer? If so, copy everest to a CD and run it on the other PC.

You can also copy the graphics driver to CD and install them upstairs.

Dassie 17:02 10 Oct 04

DC- I tried various display drivers(ATI tech nologies)from the CD that came with my computer. But none of them worked. Windows plug & Play recognise the display as Cirrhus Logic and installs the driver for that but then that green screen comes and hangs up.

Dassie 17:16 10 Oct 04

DC- I just downloaded Everest into a CD and will try your suggestion. I shall keep you posted my progress. Thanks

Diemmess 17:31 10 Oct 04

If I have got it right, the Siemans monitor worked, but only while running W95?

This re-enforces what Diodorus Siculus said about the drivers for the computer's video "card". You have to find the driver for that first.

I am a bit surprised that at the first run, Windows didn't simply pick the basic generic low resolution driver which at least gives a stable display. Probably stating the obvious, but have you tried loading in safe mode, removing the display driver in Device Manager, rebooting and seeing what happens then?

Dassie 18:55 10 Oct 04

Thanks DC & Diemess- solved the problem. Downloaded an updated driver using my cd writer and that worked. The windows basic driver worked after removing the display in the safe mode. That's how I could use the CDrom. Thanks a bunch!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…