Problem with Windows security download

Seve23 10:57 26 May 04

Last week Windows Auto-update downloaded and installed a security patch. Since then my pc has been extremely slow. It is taking a very long to time to boot-up and I can only connect to my ISP(broadband) about one in ten attempts. My task bar has lost most of the shortcuts and my broadband connection was slower than dial-up. I tried Microsoft to see if I could uninstall the patch and they referred me to my PC maker unless I paid £47 for technical help or I could try online help subjects for FAQ. My PC maker(Mesh) referrred me to their premium rate line (£1 per minute). I have a MSN Premium account so I tried them. They helped in that they said it wass my Norton Firewall and Anti-Virus that was causing the problem, not the patch and I should disenable both. This speeded up the Internet connection but now I do not have the same protection that I used to have. They suggested I downloaded McAffee Firewall that is included in my Premium subscription. This I did and got the same result as when Norton was enabled. Now I am back to square one. I want to uninstall the patch. Can anyone help me with this?

lpl56407 11:45 26 May 04

Can you remove the patch via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, highlight the patch and then click on remove?

Seve23 11:15 28 May 04

I tried to find the patch and deleted the one I thought was the last one downloaded but I either have the wrong one or something else has happened as it made little or no difference. I can no longer operate on the internet at any decent speed with a firewall enabled. Boot-up takes ages and System Restore doesn't work. The pc freezes when the message 'Windows is closing down'(this is not a new thing, the software reboot nearly always freezes) and when I reboot using the reset button I get the error message ' System Restore has not been able to ....'

MartinT-B 11:34 28 May 04

If you go to Windows update and click view installation history (on the left) It should tell you what you installed and when. If you can remember when you installed it you'll then know which one to remove.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…