Problem when trying to Defrag my hard drive

alfren 08 Nov 12

Whenever I try to defrag my hard drive, I get a message saying to run Chkdsk /f However, when I attempt to run this feature, I receive another message, that the check could not proceed because of a dirty volume. The situation is driving me bonkers. I have consulted the microsoft help site but all their suggestions have not rid me of the problem. The windows I am using is the XP Home Edition with all the necessary service packs. The hard drive is NTFS. Can some one help me or do I need to take a hammer to the damn thing. Thank you for listening/reading.

wee eddie 08 Nov 12

How full is your Hard Drive?

lotvic 08 Nov 12

There is a method to reset the dirty bit manually Try this first ClickHere and then you could consider ClickHere 2nd link explains where the hex it is.

lotvic 08 Nov 12
Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message