problem when installing Windows XP professional

23790954 22:20 03 Dec 04

As an o.a.p. I enjoy repairing and tinkering with my families and my own computer. I have more than one hard drive for my own computer, so I tend to try different things. I have just spent several hours trying to install Windows XP professional, as an upgrade to Win 2000 Professional. Although I have formatted my hard drive, re-installed Window 2000 pro on the hard drive prior to attempting upgrading it to Windows XP pro, the end result always comes up with the same result. After the installation has completed, everything works great, except that there is no network connections listed in the appropriate drive, hence I cannot make an internet connection. Each time I try to enter my ISP details it displays an error. Error number 711, relating to the remote assistance messenger. Can anyone put any light on this problem, or offer a salution to it. Many thanks for any help given.

SANTOS7 22:26 03 Dec 04

Error 711: RasMan initialization failure. Check the event log

To resolve this:

1. Go into Control Panel and click Services.
2. Start the Plug and Play service, and change the Startup mode from Manual
or Disabled to Enabled
hope this helps,good luck..........

Technotiger 22:41 03 Dec 04

Hi, SANTOS7 - in XP one gets to Services via Start>Run>type in "msconfig" without astericts, then click on Services Tab to find Plug and Play.

23790954 - Get Some In!! 22784072 :-)) sorry, I digress, good luck with your setup. lol

SANTOS7 22:52 03 Dec 04

in my haste, copied/pasted resolve as written from another forum, and as you point you are right so to clarify, Start>Run>type in "msconfig click on services scroll down and tick "plug and play" hopefully this will solve 23790954s problem thanks for help technotiger don't want to confuse anybody.

pipedream 23:37 03 Dec 04

This may not cure the problem, but I'd suggest it would be better to install XP 'fresh', without 2000 being installed first - even though it's an 'upgrade', you should be able to boot from the XP CD, format the drive and install. During the install process you'll be asked to insert a qualifying product... you'll then need to insert your Win2000 CD briefly which will be checked & then you'll re-insert the XP CD (I think I've only upgraded from Win98 previously, but as long as 2000 qualifies it should work the same).

temp003 03:11 04 Dec 04

If you haven't installed too many programs, and don't mind starting afresh, try pipedream's suggestion. Just restart computer with the XP upgrade CD inserted, boot from CD, and follow the prompts (and insert w2k CD when asked, then switch back to XP CD).

Remember always to choose to install a fresh copy of XP. Then choose to install on C, confirm that's what you want to do, then when given formatting options, choose format with NTFS file system and continue.

You can access Services in a number of ways. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Or Start, Run, type

services.msc

and press Enter.

Or Technotiger's way via msconfig, but that doesn't always show all the services.

beeuuem 03:36 04 Dec 04

From click here

SYMPTOMS
When you try to create a new network connection, you may receive the following error message:
Error 711: Cannot load Remote Access Service Connection Manager.

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 711 (0x2C7)
Incoming Connections depend on the Routing and Remote Access service which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log.
You may also be unable to install network adapters.1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
3. Right-click Telephony, and then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, click Manual next to Startup type.
5. On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.
6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the Remote Access Connection Manager service and for the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…