Problem with Vodafone Mobile Broadband

daniellabell 09:04 29 Aug 09

Hello,
My friend is really no good with laptops and i also know very little but she really wanted the internet at her flat. After looking into many options we decided the most cost effective option for her was to have mobile broadband and it seemed Vodafone offered the best deal. I managed to get her a second hand laptop which is old but in perfect working order and runs on Windows XP. The dongle arrived and i thought it would be a straight forward process, unfortunately this has definitely not been the case.

On plugging the dongle in it just connects for exactly 10 to 11 seconds and then disconnects and repeats this process.I have now been on the phone to Vodafone on 5 occasions for up to 1hr 20mins at a time and they have been extremely unhelpful and i am losing hope. One technician managed to get it to connect by changing the com ports (i think that's what they were called) but on restarting it went back to normal doing exactly the same thing. The signal says very good so i don't think that is the problem either.

I began to wonder if it was the laptop so we managed to loan her brothers new laptop which runs on Vista, however it does exactly the same on this one!

Has anyone had any similar problems or any suggestions as to what it may be? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!

Technotiger 09:27 29 Aug 09

Go into Control Panel and check within Power Options - set all options to never (these settings can be changed again later if necessary).

This may or may not work, but worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…