Problem with Vista SP1

tinkerpuss 22:06 21 Apr 08

I am writing on behalf of my dad who, in his attempts to install Vista SP1 is now in a position where his computer won't boot up. I am no expert but will try to explain what happened.
After downloading SP1 and trying install it, he was told that installation was not possible as some files were corrupted. He repaired the files but was told there was still one corrupt.
Dad then decided to reinstall Vista from his disc and I am a bit unclear what he did then but is now being told that he cannot install Vista on more than one computer. Is there a limit to how often an installation disc remains valid? He thinks he may need a new product code but has no idea how to go about this. My dad is 77 and not as sharp as he was, so it is possible that he has made a critical error somewhere.

try boot from disc and select repair my computer, and use restore or recovery (if ultimate) when you select it windows will detect any startup problems and ask if you want them repaired, select yes, as system restore probably wont work.
then reboot, tap f8 and select last good config, reboot and cross fingers.

tinkerpuss 23:20 21 Apr 08

Thanks adman 2. I will get my dad to try this tomorrow. I think he has tried 'repair my computer' and as you say system restore doesn't work.
It is hard to pass on 3rd party info with very little knowledge. He is at the stage where he thinks he may have to pay for someone to come in and repair this and I am trying to find a solution before he dtakes this costly step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5