Problem with Vista safe mode and screen resolution

tom13429 17:16 22 Feb 10

Hi guys, I'm at my wits end here. I've exhausted dozens of options, and can't see a solution.

I'm using a sony vaio laptop with a broken screen (totally cracked), hooked up to an external monitor. Had to restart my laptop in safe mode, so went into msconfig, selected boot in safe mode, and restarted. Problem is, my external monitor gives me a message "cannot display this video mode, change computer display input to [email protected]". Problem is, I can't use my laptop screen because it's completely useless, so I can't access display resolution settings. Now my computer insists on booting in safe mode all the time, and I can't stop it (it won't even display setup on the external monitor). Any advice?

Ps - monitor won't be forced by shutting the screen, I've even tried hitting f8, and guessing the number of options down the list "start windows normally" is, but to no avail.

Even if you can't help with the main problem, can you tell me if I'm even able to boot into normal mode in the boot options menu, if I've selected "boot in safe mode" in the msconfig window?

User-1229748 17:34 22 Feb 10

at boot tap f10 wait a few seconds and hit f5 and then hit enter then press f10 again and then hit enter (hoping f5 is your setup defaults)

User-1229748 17:36 22 Feb 10

if f5 is no good try f9

mgmcc 17:51 22 Feb 10

If you set MSCONFIG to boot into Safe Mode, it adds /SAFEBOOT to the end of the Boot.ini string so it will always start in Safe Mode until the string is altered.

Can you get hold of an old CRT monitor, which will be able to display the desktop in Safe Mode? You could then edit the Boot.ini file.

If the laptop has a floppy drive, you could put the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files on a floppy and boot with that. It will give an error that the Boot.ini file is missing or corrupt and that it is booting instead from Windows. It should then start normally.

mgmcc 17:55 22 Feb 10

Ignore my posting which refers to XP, not Vista, although a CRT monitor should still get you sorted.

Woolwell 18:23 22 Feb 10

Unless I am missing something, if you are in safemode and have the display on the external monitor then you should be able to access msconfig and change back to normal mode. You may have to type msconfig in the search box and then right click on the search and select run as administrator to get the changes to stick.

Is it Fn + F7 to toggle between laptop screen and external monitor on a Vaio? The symbol should be on the function key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…