Problem with virus on my rootsweb website

Trenny 17:35 PM 20 Oct 13
Answered

I have a family history website on rootsweb which keeps being shut down because it has a virus in it I have cleaned my computer of softonic uploader which I think was the cause of the problem. But it keeps coming back. What can I do?

Every time the site is shut down I have to republish. See click here

Secret-Squirrel 17:55 PM 20 Oct 13

It's more likely that your webspace was hacked into so you need to change your rootsweb password ASAP. Make sure you create a "strong" one with a minimum of nine characters containing a mixture of upper case and lower case letters, and a few numbers.

Trenny 10:34 AM 22 Oct 13

Yes, I have done this THREE times. They send me a new password and I don't think that there is a way to change it to one of MY choice.

The first time I removed and replaced the files. After that I just 'published'from my Expression web files. All the files were passed as OK by rootsweb (and the site opened again), but a few days later it was closed down again.

There isn't a way to clean the site itself, is there? I have checked my Control panel and can't see Softon Downloader, which appeared to be connected with the virus.

Secret-Squirrel 12:21 PM 22 Oct 13
Answer

"They send me a new password and I don't think that there is a way to change it to one of MY choice."

Does this help?

Trenny 14:21 PM 22 Oct 13

Many thanks. I thought there should be a way.But I still have the problem of the virus returning. I'll change the password it just may help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…