Problem using USB stick

p.r.b 11:04 11 Jan 09

I have a Bytestor 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive which I thought I could just plug in and use. I was able to drag and drop some folders to it but when I wanted to access them I get the following message

J:\ refers to a location that is unavailable.It could be on the hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disc is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location.

Fortunately as I was just trying it out the information on the stick can be loaded again so nothing is lost but how do I make the J drive available and how do I access the information on this stick.
My OS is Windows XP and J refers to the drive which the USB appears under in My Computer.
Cheers
Paul

iscanut2 11:20 11 Jan 09

With the USB stick in place, click on My Computer and see what drive letter is shown there. Is iot still J: ?

iscanut2 11:22 11 Jan 09

Sorry, should read more carefully, as you have already done this

p.r.b 22:32 11 Jan 09

Hasn't anyone any ideas about this ???
Cheers
Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:41 11 Jan 09

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

p.r.b 23:59 11 Jan 09

done that and there is a slight change, a window titled USB opens for a while then closes shortly after and keeps on appearing intermittently like this ~ any ideas ???

p.r.b 00:12 12 Jan 09

While the USB icon appeared in My Computer I tried to format the stick. Another box appeared and showed progress of formatting then at the end I got a message saying windows could not format, this shouldn't be a problem should it.
I thought USB sticks were quite straightforward and don't understand what is wrong.

lotvic 00:19 12 Jan 09

Try it in a different USB port

p.r.b 00:38 12 Jan 09

you seem to have found the answer to my problem lotvic. Thanks to you all for your help it's very much appreciated
Cheers
Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…