Problem Using Restore CDs

Charlie37 15:16 25 Feb 06

Can anyone help me?

I've spent the morning backing-up my data on my E-Machine 420 Windows XP. With it I received only Restore CDs, 2 of them. I've been trying to restore the Emachine with them as I have one or twice before but now I am getting error messages when I put in the 1st CD: They Read as follows:

Cannot Open R:220 GHO

Appication Error Invalid Dump 11000

Symantec Ghost Ver 7.5

Have had a look at the Emachines Website which in turn sent me to Symantec but no joy, and a Google search hasn't found the answer either.

Anyone any idea please.

Charlie

AndySD 15:19 25 Feb 06

I know it sounds obvious buy try giving the cd a clean.

Charlie37 15:37 25 Feb 06

Don't worry about it being obvious, AndySD, I'm still relatively new to computers - especially when things go wrong!

Gave it another clean but, unfortunately no joy, it's still saying:

Cannot Open R:\220 GHO (not R:220 GHO as stated above).

Charlie

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:48 25 Feb 06

Have you got your CD drive set to first boot device.

Charlie37 15:55 25 Feb 06

Yes... the disk spins on rebooting. And the error message message appears.

Charlie

AndySD 16:18 25 Feb 06

click here have you tried the chat with a tech or the email link?

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:20 25 Feb 06

This person had the same prob unfortunately google translator seems to be on strike
click here

rawprawn 16:26 25 Feb 06

Sorry it's not clear to me, but can you boot in safe mode,(Tap F8 on boot for safe mode) if so try uninstalling Norton Ghost

rawprawn 16:38 25 Feb 06

I don't think uninstalling Norton Ghost will help. As far as I can translate, Norton creates a partition which you would need to format, I'm sorry my French is rusty and I don't want to mislead you.I will have another go but we are going out, so in the meantime someone else may help.

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:59 25 Feb 06

Could try cleaning registry with this before you try discs again
click here

Charlie37 17:01 25 Feb 06

Andy, I'm in the UK and my only contact is a premium rate phone call unfortunately. The link you gave me directs me to America and can't fill out the form because of my address and the store that I bought it from.

I can't find Norton Ghost in my computer anywhere so I couldn't uninstall it if I wanted. The only mention of it comes when the CD Restore disk begins. Maybe it is hidden?I'll see if I can pick up anything from Hertz Van Rentyl's link, in the meantime thanks for all your trouble.

Charlie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…