Problem using internet connection sharing

sibo 20:50 09 Jan 04

I have recently set up a wireless network between my laptop and my desktop pc using a wireless lan card in my laptop and a D - Link access point connected to my network card on my desktop which works fine including printer sharing. The problem is even though I have enabled sharing of my modem the laptop still cannot connect to the internet through the network. Please can someone help before i go insane!! Cheers

Gman 20:58 09 Jan 04

Have you got a firewall installed on the PC connected directly to the internet. If you do you will need to configure it to allow access from the second PC. Most well known ones have a wizard to do this.

sibo 21:16 09 Jan 04

No I unchecked the box on the desktop pc in the internet connection because i thought that might be the problem but still no luck

Gman 21:19 09 Jan 04

Is that the only firewall. You don't have a third party one installed?

sibo 21:22 09 Jan 04

yes all firewalls are disabled because when enabled one on the laptop I could not connect to the desktop so diabled it.

Gman 21:32 09 Jan 04

On the laptop open IE and go Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Lan settings and tick only "Automatically detect settings".

sibo 21:38 09 Jan 04

yeah I checked this and it was already done and nothing else was ticked. I am very greatful for your help.

Gman 21:39 09 Jan 04

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure all the firewalls are disabled then re run the networking wizard again.

sibo 22:01 09 Jan 04

Done that still does not work and I cant see the laptop but the laptop can access files on the destop pc. Explorer on laptop just sais detecting proxy settings and just hangs forever. Help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac