Problem using Autotext in Word 2002

harris99 17:44 17 Nov 04

I have just seen on a friend's computer the Autotext dialog box in Word 2002 which shows a large number of entries already installed. My computer also using Word 2002 shows a completely empty dialog box. My friend is using XP and I am on ME, but I wouldn'have thought that would make any difference. Any ideas as to why my Autotext dialog is empty?

VoG II 17:56 17 Nov 04

click here;en-us;291484 and scroll down to Rename the Global Template.

VoG II 17:57 17 Nov 04

click here I mean!

harris99 19:50 17 Nov 04

Many thanks. I'm afraid I'm too chicken to do anything when I see the word Registry mentioned! I didn't miss this feature until I saw it on my friend's computer anyway. Is it any good re-installing Word from the CD?

VoG II 19:53 17 Nov 04

You don't have to do anything in the registry:

1. Quit all instances of Word. If you use Word as your e-mail editor, be sure to quit Microsoft Outlook as well.

2. Click Start, point to Search, and then click Files or Folders.

3. In the Search for files or folders named box, type

4. In the Look in box, select your local hard disk (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).

5. Click Search Now to search for the file.

6. For each occurrence of that appears in the Search dialog box, right-click the file. Click Rename on the shortcut menu. Give the file a new name, such as or, and then press ENTER.

7. On the File menu, click Close to close the Search dialog box, and then restart Word normally (without using the /a switch).

harris99 17:59 18 Nov 04

Did as you said. Worked a treat. Heaven knows why! Very many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…