Problem with USB controls and no restart using XP

cpcspain 01:49 24 Sep 05

There are 3 definite aspects to this problem with an otherwise trouble free Athlon-based Time PC, viz: 1.The only way to restart is to power off and turn on again - any other attempt at restarting hangs the PC in the first startup screen. 2. The 4-way memory card reader no longer functions. 3. The Canon software and USB interface for downloading digital images from the EOS camera no longer function.

All 3 of these symptoms appeared at the same time, but otherwise the PC works prestty normally, if a little slower at times.

The PC is very high spec, and about 2 years old. It has the usual anti-Spam,Anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, and is regularly "serviced" to ensure efficient running.

Service pack 2 was installed, but some time ago, and the PC is automatically updated by Microsoft update.

Any ideas?

Chris Corbin
Accounting & Computer Services

AndySD 03:49 24 Sep 05

My first thought is the motherboard drivers are corrupt or need updating. If you dont know the make/model of the motherboard use someting like Everest Home click here (its free) to find out. Please post back.

cpcspain 10:20 24 Sep 05

Thanks Andy - I've downloaded the Everest Program, from which I know that the Motherboard is an MSI KT4V (MS-6712). I will try and get a driver update from MSI and let youn know whether this works.
Chris Corbin

AndySD 18:48 24 Sep 05

VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers click here (the second ones down K7 chipsets: KT400, KT400A, KT600, KT880, KM400, KN400 )

cpcspain 13:49 25 Sep 05

The VIA file you suggested seems to have done the trick - ceraintly the restart is OK, the Card reader works, and I think the camera is OK.

Many thanks for your assistance - I presume this trick will work with other PC's with similar symptoms(?)

Chris Corbin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…