problem upgrading norton av 2003 to 2006

Grambo 19:48 31 Mar 06

I have gone for an upgrade. Purchased ok and downloaded files. Upon installation i was told to remove older program which i have done thru control panel. Went to install again and its still detecting previous version. Tried reboot but still tells me older version is there. Thought this was supposed to be an upgrade. Any ideas please
Thanks

RobCharles1981 19:59 31 Mar 06

Why did you bother too buy Norton because its Rubbish why don't you get the freebies this forum has been talking about??

Grambo 20:03 31 Mar 06

Thanks for the advice rob , but really looking for something more constructive and related to my question

gudgulf 20:21 31 Mar 06

You will need to use a special removal tool from Norton to get rid of 2003 versions.

For Internet Security 2003 click here

For AV 2003 click here

Then try installing 2006 again........I have to say all this trouble simply updating was one of the reasons I ditched Norton(after using it for over two years) last year.

Grambo 20:29 31 Mar 06

I feel like ditching them to at the moment, but just paid £29 for download files. So will try your link and see how it goes

Grambo 20:54 31 Mar 06

Well, im totally fed up now. All but wiped my norton 2003 av and cannot install 2006. How can these clowns get away with it. Has anyone had any luck with a refund for upgrade downloads. Will never touch them again with a barge pole

gudgulf 21:21 31 Mar 06

One last thing to try.....download RegCleaner click here

Run it and you will get a list of all programs installed in the registry...tick to remove any Norton or Symantec entries.

Try to install now.

And if that doesn't work you will need to run a search for Norton ans Symantec (include hidden files and folders) and manually delete all the files).

I've seen it recommended that a full reinstall is the only way to be sure it's gone...a bit drastic but it works!

Good luck.

Grambo 22:55 31 Mar 06

Just as a conclusion to this, i resorted to blitzing all that i could see regarding norton with a view to not using them and trying another av. One last try to install and it worked. This was no upgrade. Had to be brutal to install and thats not my idea of fun. They have NOT got this right. To me an upgrade should be smooth...the software replacing old etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…