Problem updating with xp SP1 need help!

ShorN 13:18 15 Aug 04

Ive just reformatted my PC and need to update XP with SP1 and other updates. However when I run and install SP1 one an error come up saying
driver in use

c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys

please close other applications and retry. Well everything else is closed and I retried it in safe mode but got the same msg!

Any help pleeeassee!!

pc moron 13:29 15 Aug 04

Does this help?

click here

rawprawn 13:33 15 Aug 04

I gather that you have just loaded XP back on to your computer, and have now put in the SP1 disc to load that, and you are getting the message as your post. If so I would do a system file scan. Go to Start/ Run / type sfc /scannow ( NB there is a space between sfc and / that will check to see if all your system files loaded properly, if it finds an error it will ask you for the XP disc. Alteratively you can put the disc in the drive before you start, click exit then do the sfc.

rawprawn 14:08 15 Aug 04

I Think you should try pc moron's answer first. It looks as if that may solve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…