Problem with uninstalling MSN messenger. Help?

Loracthims 17:03 17 Mar 04

Hi there

MSN messenger has been driving me crazy and I wanted to get rid of it altogether.

I went to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > MSN Messenger and clicked Uninstall.

It said it couldn't find it and it might be uninstalled already - did I want to remove its name from the list of programs. I stupidly clicked on Yes instead of no and now although messenger still comes up and drives me mad, its name isn't in list and I can't uninstall.

I think the initial problem was that I wasn't connected to Internet when trying to uninstall? Now that I am, I don't know how to uninstall without a name to click on!!

Can you help?

I'm using Windows Me on a PC.

Thanks.

Old Shep 17:06 17 Mar 04

What version is it? What is it doing to drive you mad?

Loracthims 17:12 17 Mar 04

It's Messenger 6.0

It's driving me mad just cos it's there everytime I start my computer and even when I close it, it reopens and gets in the way every time I connect to Internet.

I have used it literally once (to receive concert pictures from a friend) and just want it to stop popping up when I don't want it, so I thought I should just get rid of it.

ianeon 17:24 17 Mar 04

Open Messenger>tools>options>general>untick the top box - This should stop Messenger opening on start up

Old Shep 17:50 17 Mar 04

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig click on the startup tab and when you find msmsgs untick the box and it should not load up

Taw® 18:25 17 Mar 04

This should also help if you dont use it click here

Loracthims 17:15 19 Mar 04

A big thank you to you all.

I 'clicked here' and cut and paste the instructions on that thread.

I seem to have already deleted some of MSN (!) so can't click on Messenger>Tools>General cos it tries to install but won't because it tells me I should install an updated version.

Anyway - the thing is it's stopped coming up now, for which I'm really grateful.

One last thing, though, I tried typing msconfig at Start>Run and now I get a box up saying I'm running 'selective startup to troubleshoot my system'. Is it okay to run my pc like that? (I did take the opportunity when in there to untick a couple of other things I don't need opening at startup).

1514 18:03 19 Mar 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…