Problem transferring files via floppy

Simsy 13:24 11 Mar 03

Hi chums,

I've a little problem transferring something from work to home via floppy disc.

The symptons are that my machine at home, (Win 98se, Office 2000), struggles to read the disc, ending up with a reboot to get going again.

It was so bad that I even came to the conclusion that the floppy drive was faulty and have replaced it with a new one.. to no avail. The floppys are a decent make, and I have used more than one floppy, again to no avail.

If I use a disc on my PC alone there is no problem. I can format a disc, read and write to/from it to my hearts content.

I then take this floppy to work and transfer the files, (a couple of Excel files that I'm working on, and a couple of others), from the floppy to a PC at work with no problem.

The files are then altered at work and saved to a new folder on the floppy, (this new folder created on the work PC). They are then opened, at work, from the floppy, (as a test to see if they had saved OK), and they open with no problems.

I bring the floppy home and the symptoms reappear!!

The work PC uses Win2000 Pro with Office XP.

I did a virus scan both at work and at home with nothing found..... however I did get a one stage during the last freeze/lockup/reboot sequence a DOS type screen saying AVG resident sheild had found a virus in the boot sector of the A drive. A subsequent rescan of the floppy found nothing. The floppy had been refornatted, (full, not quick), immediately before copying the files onto it and going to work.

It can't be something to do with FAT32/NTFS can it? That's only relevant to the HDD I believe.

No I can go round the houses and transfer the files via CD... but thats extreme, and the machine I use at work doesn't have a CD writer... I'd have to go via the network and find another PC somewhere that does... an option that I really dont want to take.

Any advice/suggestions as to what's going on here?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

woodchip 13:34 11 Mar 03

May be incompatible format from Office XP to Office 2000 it will not be the first time. Try from a different program like a JPG file to confirm the above. PS Office XP will be backward Compatible but 2000 cannot read Office XP

GroupFC 13:49 11 Mar 03

Woodchip's suggestion sounds likely.

I don't use officeXP myself, but when saving an excel spresdsheet you should have an option to save it in an earlier excel format (for example, I save excel97 worksheets in excel95 format to run on a machine running win3.1 - I know it is about time to update but why when I can do everything I want with what I've got!).

A word of warning depending on the complexities of the spreadsheet you may lose some functionality in doing this!

vinnyT 14:10 11 Mar 03

I know this doesn't sort out the floppy d. prob. but couldn't you email the files as an attachment from your workplace to your home comp. or are the files too big? I do this myself, when the files are too big for a fd, but too small to waste a cdr.

Simsy 14:30 11 Mar 03

Woodchip/GroupFC... I'd thought of that and saved in the appropriate format, (Can't remember exactly what the options were now). I'd have thought that I'd have got a "Invalid file" messgae box if that was the problem. It's not something I'm completely ruling out at the moment though.

VinnyT... yes I may have to do that... but it would be nice to get to the root of the problem.

I've just come off night shifts and wont be able to do this for a few days now.

Thanks again folks.

Any other input is welcome.

regards,

Simsy

AndySD 15:12 11 Mar 03

Try zipping the file at work and before puttingon the floppy.

rct 15:25 11 Mar 03

1st thought that comes to mind is AVG, I had trouble with antivirus software affecting a floppy drive on a system I built a while back. Try disabling it and see if the symptoms disappear. Other than that... you may have been caught out by a known freak situation with floppy drives! Here, one of the drives in question (work or home) is slightly out of calibration which results in it reading only "its own discs" properly. The only solution would be to replace the floppy drive at work in this instance seeing as you have already tried this at home.

Simsy 16:56 14 Mar 03

I think I need to do a bit more investigation!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…