problem with tonights ms updates

sunnystaines 20:59 14 Sep 10

using w7 and office 2007

one of tonights updates the office [kb2288621] fails to install tried install from the ms updates web page after googling the kb number but that fails to install too.

any ideas please.

john bunyan 21:12 14 Sep 10

Also have W7 and Office 2007. All updates went in ok.Not sure why yours did not install.

VOT Productions 21:17 14 Sep 10

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

Note On a Windows Vista-based computer, click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, right-click services.msc, and then click Run as administrator.
In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.
Minimize the Services (local) window.
Select all the contents of the Windows distribution folder, and then delete them.

Note By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. In this location, drive is a placeholder for the drive where Windows is installed.
Make sure that the Windows distribution folder is empty, and then maximize the Services (local) window.
In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.

sunnystaines 21:29 14 Sep 10

not got automatic updates in services do have windows update in services but right click on that service does not give option of administrator it is already set to automatic.

any other ideas please

lotvic 21:37 14 Sep 10

The above from VirtualOSTester is copied from:
You cannot install some updates or programs
Method 10 from support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 click here

so it might be worth looking at the other 9 methods.

sunnystaines 21:42 14 Sep 10

none of those other errors apply. there is a an error found 80070641 windows encountered an unknown error.

i think the original download file may be corrupt [just a guess] but do not know how to delete for a fresh install.

sunnystaines 21:44 14 Sep 10

been looking in word and excel for a repair office option but cannot find it in case its a fault on my office, last resort my be uninstall office and reinstall

VOT Productions 21:45 14 Sep 10

Set Windows Update to Stop in services.msc, then empty the folder and then start Windows Update in services.msc

VOT Productions 21:46 14 Sep 10

Empting the folder makes Windows to re-download the update

sunnystaines 21:59 14 Sep 10

followed those instructions disabled the windows update service, deleted all the :\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder then re enable windows update services and restarted it.

that cleared the prev download but still got the failed office install after running windows update as administrator.

VOT Productions 22:04 14 Sep 10

Install in Safe Mode and if not work
Try repairing the Office Install

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant