Problem with TFT?

Totally-braindead 11:25 23 Sep 07

I'm having a lot of problems just now with my eyes and headaches as well. I've had my eyes tested and they are ok and many things I can do with no problems at all but I do notice that my eyes seem to be a bit blurry even after only being on the computer for a short time. Now I'm going to see the doctor but wondered in particular if theres some setting on my computer I have altered by mistake that may have made things worse.
I've a 17" TFT and a 7600GS graphics card. I did consider refresh rates but its my understanding that refresh rates only effect CRT monitors and not TFTs so any advice anybody as to what to check?

g0nvs 11:39 23 Sep 07

what does your TFT Monitor recommend you set the refresh rate at ? I think most TFTs have a refresh rate of 60hz, do check yours.

Totally-braindead 11:45 23 Sep 07

Have tried setting it to 70 hz and we'll see what that does, if anything.

rdave13 12:00 23 Sep 07

Maybe adjusting the contrast and brightness levels may help to give less strain on the eyes.

Quiet Life 12:36 23 Sep 07

You do not say whether you have spectacles or your age but a monitor at approx. 2 feet needs a different correction from reading or driving.
Your symptoms are exactly those of eye strain which once you have can make the screen blurry after a very short time.

Diemmess 13:23 23 Sep 07

There is scope for a parody of "The Bard's" seven ages of man if related to eye problems.
From bright-eyed infancy to needing another's help to find the wretched spectacles!

Quiet Life suggests eye strain.

My own experience is that with the years flashing past more quickly than they ever used to do, visits to my friendly neighbourhood optition seem to recur too often.
Didn't need glasses until past 40 when I realised what I was missing.

For over a year I have a separate set of specs fo sitting at this keyboard, but even then staying too long makes my eyes feel

Diemmess 13:26 23 Sep 07

--- dry.
It is a relief to do something about the house and garden without spectacles. A bit like getting out of the chair and having a walk around saves a lot of other bad posture aches.

just a thought tb, i have had bad headaches for about 12 months, i went down the eyetest route etc.
have now found the problem was a spasm in my neck from being usually uptight and sitting at a pc desk 6 hours a day, the doc gave me some tablets to felp me get the proper type of sleep and some simple excersises, basically lie on your front push shoulders back as far as they will go 10 times, then push your head as far back as it will go 10 times (away from the floor if that makes sense) then shoulders and head 10 times. i finished the tablest 2 weeks ago do excercise every morning and headaches gone.
i know i cant spell exersise btw:)

Totally-braindead 19:25 23 Sep 07

Well thats interesting adman2 as I have a trapped nerve in my neck and have had it for a few years now, it only rears its head once in a while but I will certainly investigate as to whether it could be related to the headaches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…