Problem with SVGA monitor

wobblymike 19:00 27 Oct 03

HELP
I have acquirred a SVGA monitor as a spare - the problem is that when I connect my PC to it I can only display a picture in 640x480with a 60Hz refresh rate. If i try to raise the resolution to 800x600 the picture goes crazy before resetting itself back to 600x480. Initially when I connected and the picture went crazy, I reatarted in safe mode enabled VGA mode, booted up normally and then reset the settings to 640x480 - the only way I can make the thing work - I guess it is some distinction between VGA and SVGA but I don;t know what. Is there any thing I can do to run the thing at 800x600?
Rgds
Mike

A_World_Maker 19:13 27 Oct 03

sounds like the windows default driver is driving this monitor, you might search the internet and download compatible drivers, before raising the resolution?

wee eddie 19:15 27 Oct 03

You enter the Model Name and Manufacturer of the VDU into Google. You should get a link to the Specifications and you'll then know what it's capable of.

woodchip 19:19 27 Oct 03

Try this right click on empty desktop, click setting click advanced click monitor click change button click display all drivers in specific location Have a look on the back of the monitor for model, and make. Have a look to see if you can see the make in the list if you can click on it then look for model No. if this does not work click generic desktop monitor and Choose SVGA with a resolution of about 1000 x 700 click apply then exit program and try to adjust resolution

woodchip 19:21 27 Oct 03

It will not hurt to try a model No. Nr to the one that is on the back of your monitor

wobblymike 19:43 27 Oct 03

woodchip

thanks have done as you suggest however when I select monitor, I don't have a change buton just a properties button!!

Mike

woodchip 21:07 27 Oct 03

What OS are you on Win3.11

wobblymike 12:11 28 Oct 03

woodchip
sorry about the delay - running XP pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…