Problem on startup

shil 19:00 24 Jul 08

I have inherited a desktop. The problem is that it refuses to boot. The monitor shows a blank screen. I suspect that the hard drive is faulty. Is there any way to confirm that the hard drive is faulty short of purchasing and installing a new one?

birdface 19:08 24 Jul 08

Try in safe mode.Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts see if it opens with that.

shil 19:14 24 Jul 08

buteman. Have tried this, to no avail.

birdface 19:30 24 Jul 08

If an oldish computer make sure the air vents are not clogged up with dust or fluff.If so inside may need cleaning as well.When inside maybe remove your memory and clean them if needed and make sure they are seated properly when putting them back.If the computer has been moved about make sure everything is connected properly.

Cuddles 19:34 24 Jul 08

Try the hard drive in another system

MsTechie 19:57 24 Jul 08

Even if the HDD is faulty it should still boot up and show an error message relating to the HDD unless something else is at fault too.
To rule out the HDD unplug the IDE cable and Power cable from the back of the HDD then boot up again and see what happens, post back and let us know.

grey george 20:00 24 Jul 08

Do you see the bios loading or anything else? If the screen is blank all the time then it may be the moniter or video card. Do you get the post bleeps when it starts? Does the hdd light flicker?

So Afraid 20:04 24 Jul 08

To get into safe mode on my PC i have to keep tapping F5.

shil 06:34 25 Jul 08

Have tried booting up with the IDE and power cables disconnected and get the same result as before. Do not get the post beep and the hdd light comes on but does not flicker.

MsTechie 16:11 25 Jul 08

Try resetting the BIOS
On your motherboard, usually near the CMOS batter there are some jumpers, usually with a plastic bit covering them, if you look carefully you should see the words either <Clear CMOS> or <Reset CMOS> with the PC turned off remove the plastic bit and put put it one the jumpers for a couple of seconds then return it back to its original place.
This has worked for me on a few occasions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 25 Jul 08

There is no way the HDD led can flicker if data and power leads disconnected.

Try removing and refitting the graphics acrd if it has one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…