Problem with Start Menu XP home

Simsy 18:13 29 Nov 05

Hi Folks...

Despite offering help on this very problem to someone else recently, (while I was at work and using XP Pro), I can't seem to sort this for myself...

I want to tidy up my Start Menu, that is to say the bit that appears under, "All Programs"

It has become very long and untidy.

I am the only user and I am the administrator.

There are lots of progs on the "All Programs" menu that don't appear when I go to the Start Menu folder, any of the 3 that exist; Docs and Settings/All users, or Docs and Settings/My name, or C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu.

Can anyone help. I'm rather confused as it doesn't seem to behave the same as Win98 which I was very confortable with. I can't, for example, copy/paste links of this menu. I it's a folderthe "Copy" option isn't available... it's not greyed out, it's just not there.

Any pointers... I'm sure I'm doing something silly!!

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Skyver 18:21 29 Nov 05

Something I only discovered recently myself, may work for you - double left-click when you have a start menu folder highlighted, opens it in Explorer.

Simsy 19:33 29 Nov 05

but that wasn't the problem... items on the actual "ALl Programs" part of the "Start Menu" just weren't appearing in the "Start Menu" folders??

Anyway, I now seem to have resolved it...

I right clicked on the Start button and chose "Explore all users". I was able to open and create new folders here as needed, and Drag/drop into folders in this explorer window from the "All Programs" menu.

It seems to have done the trick, but I don't understand why I couldn't see some items before. Perhaps it's some "hide" tickbox somewhere that I've not tracked down!!

I'll tick this as resolved, but welcome any further observations as to what the problem might be?

Regards,

Simsy

Skyver 19:35 29 Nov 05

Sorry, yes I've seen that problem too, and had no answers except to duplicate the folders in All Users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…