A problem with SpyBot S&D

Red Devil 09:13 14 Jan 07

Hi all,

I've started having a bit of an issue with SpyBot S&D. Basically, it's taking hours - and I DO mean hours! - to run a typical scan. I thought it might be my PC but I decided to try and run a scan on my other desktop PC using the program AND my laptop as well. The same thing happened. After 6 hours on my second desktop PC, SpyBot STILL hadn't got halfway through a scan and it was even slower on my laptop.

A scan used to take an hour at most but typically half an hour so I have no idea why it's now suddenly taking so long to do a scan.

Is anyone else having a similar issue with this program. It's started happening only in the last couple of weeks but is so bad I'm thinking of uninstalling the program!

Stuartli 09:19 14 Jan 07

Takes about 10 minutes or less to run a full S and D scan for me.

anskyber 09:47 14 Jan 07

No but I do have problems some time with hanging on updates. I cancel through task manager and start again and it flys though.

Try a reinstall perhaps?

PhiltheFragger 10:44 14 Jan 07

I always use the xtec germany download site, they wizz through.

re actual scanning, even on a low spec machine it should only take a few minutes.

You can help it by taking out your temp files and temp internet files. (run disc cleanup)

So if it is not right, uninstall and redownload it

VCR97 19:06 14 Jan 07

This might be relevant.

click here

Red Devil 19:20 14 Jan 07

Cheers for that. Looks like that's the issue.

There appears to be a conflict between AVG Anti-Virus and SpyBot S&D if you have AVG's Resident Shield turned on. I've turned the shield off and SpyBot is currently blitzing through a scan. It also appear to be connected to a recent update to SpyBot.

So that means it's a ho-hum time. Either I have to turn off one of my anti-spyware programs or have my anti-virus turned off.

Annoying to say the least!

Hopefully SpyBot will sort themselves out with their next update.

p;3 19:23 14 Jan 07

strongly suggest you do NOT turn your avg off permanantly, but merely to do the scan; I am about to try a scan on mine as intrigued

Ho-Lin-Sok 20:11 14 Jan 07

Not sure it is a general problem as many on the forum including myself have AVG free edition and Spybot S&D running without problem. Got the Resident Shield on as well. Have you tried a registry clean?

p;3 20:30 14 Jan 07

to clarify a bit; I am working 98se here and avg and spybot ; just ran a full spybot scan with no problems

VCR97 19:12 15 Jan 07

It's now been elevated to the status of "sticky" on the SB forum. Ten pages of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5