problem with sound

pc mad 19:41 22 Nov 04

hello i have just built my self a new pc, intel d865 gvhz motherboard with onboard sound,and p4 cpu, os is xp pro ,i am having a problem with the sound, in that it keeps going on and off intermittently, weather im listening to tracks iv downloaded, or a cd in cd rom drive, and some times the welcome note on boot up is cut short, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the sound drivers realtek ac97 audio, but the problem persists, i have tried another pair of speakers which made no difference, can any one advise me as to what the problem might be, thank you

pc mad 19:18 23 Nov 04

can any one advise me on this problem please, could the motherboards on board sound be faulty? thanks in advance

Tj_El 19:21 23 Nov 04

Hi,

Is it on-boad sound or do you have a sound-card installed? If the latter, check that it is seated properly in the slot.

If you have another sound card that you know works, you can use that to test if the same happens with the other card.

By this process of elimination you might be able to determine where the fault is.

pc mad 19:31 23 Nov 04

hi the mb has on board sound, i did uninstall service pack sp2 because iv heard that that can cause many problems but the problem still persists

Tj_El 19:45 23 Nov 04

Was there a problem before you installed SP2? I doubt SP2 has anything to do with the issue. How regular is this intermittent cutting off of the sound?

Have you been on-line to find, download and install the latest 'AC97 drivers?

Have to leave the office now so hopefully others will pick up from here to help you out.

One last thought: under Device Manager check you don't have a yellow flag against your Sound card.

Regards.

pc mad 20:11 23 Nov 04

i had installed sp2 before i noticed there was a problem, but i have uninstalled it and the problems still there, yes i have downloaded the latest ac97 drivers from intels web site, there are no yellow flags against sound card in fact it says this device is working properly, the problem really is quite intermittent, some times it will play 2 or 3 tracks before sound goes off other times it will cut off 3 or 4 times on one track,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…