Problem with Sony 1612 DVD/CD ROM

jimmilk 14:30 14 Jun 06

Gentlemen
I dont often use my DVD/CD ROM so am not sure how long I have had this problem, perhaps since I installed Service Pack 2. It does not recognise when a cd or dvd is installed athough I am software says it is working correctly.
I have found the following thread click here and checked out Microsoft artical 314060. Having downloaded the Guided Help and being very nervious about anything to do with registers is this Help liable to be fool proof and can I retrieve the situation if it doesnt work?
Thanks
Jim

Woolwell 16:33 14 Jun 06

Is your problem that the CD or DVD doesn't autorun or if you click on My COmputer can you see the CD or DVD in the drive.

Run your back up routine and set a system restore checkpoint before doing anything with the registry.

It could be that your drive needs cleaning with a lens cleaner.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 14 Jun 06

Autoplay Repair Wizard click here

Autoplay disable/enable
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

jimmilk 18:05 14 Jun 06

Gentlemen
When I click on the drive it asks me to put a disk in, and I have tried quite a number of disks.
I used the Auto Repair Wizard (thanks Fruit Bat) it tells me there is a problem but it cant resolve it ( it also give a reason which was in techno speak and quite long or I would have posted it).
Regards
Jim

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:33 14 Jun 06

In device manager

Uninstall the (secondary) IDE channel the drive is connected to.

Reboot the PC and let XP find and install new hardware.

retry the disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…