Problem solving help required

StellaArtois63 15:51 08 Jun 03

My first computor has had my son and I attacking it for the last 2½ years. It is using Windows 98se and I have Nortons Utilities running on it. I seem to have a few problems and it isnt running as smooth as it was, and my son informs me that it is now running in safe mode since he had problems watching a DVD the other night.The picture quality seems to have got a lot worse ie the screensaver seems to be very bitty.Is there any software I can buy to check it out and rectify any problems or shall I take it to PC world where they service PC's to see if they would sort it out. Personally the thought of letting PC world play with it doesnt fill me with great hope.
I look forward to getting advice from you thanks.

-pops- 15:57 08 Jun 03

There is sure to be someone in your neighbourhood that would look at it for you. Ask around. The last place I would take a machine is to PCW, not least because of the fees they charge (there are other reasons of which you seem to be aware).

Brian

Joe McG 16:01 08 Jun 03

you could try re-booting with a start-up floppy, and running a thorough scandisk on it.

It may make a difference.

Sometimes utilitiy programs i.e. norton utilities, can cause more harm than good.

hugh-265156 16:09 08 Jun 03

download updated drivers for everything.

back up anything you want to keep.

and do fresh install of 98.will be like new.

run defrag,disk cleanup,antivirus weekly to keep it running well.

-pops- 16:13 08 Jun 03

I don't think Stella is very au fait with computers, that's why I made the suggestion I did.

Of course, Stella, if you are able to carry out the suggestions of Joe and huggyg71, then my apologies. Their ideas are the way to go.

Brian

hugh-265156 16:17 08 Jun 03

if you do want to do this.there is some very knowledgeable peeps here that will talk you through it.

reddwarfcrew 16:19 08 Jun 03

you mention that the graphics have got worse and bitty....

have you checked the display setting, perhaps the resolution and colour depth have got somehow re-set to a lower setting.

I've found defragging works quite well, but also tended to do a complete re-install on win98 every 6mths when I had it.

spikeychris 16:36 08 Jun 03

If you have it, bang the installation disk in the drive and go to run..type sfc and go make a cup of tea.

SFC will check for corrupted and missing files and drag them from the CDROM.

Chris

StellaArtois63 16:45 08 Jun 03

Thanx Brian, not being au fait with computors is a nice way of putting it. I would have said something else but your right, I am hopeless with them , no offence taken. Thanks everyone for all the advice

Diemmess 17:15 08 Jun 03

-pops and huggyg71 are both right in their own way, and you seem to have a very sane approach.

Ask at work or bore people at a social gathering until you see someone's eyes light up. 'Might be a good idea to suss this person out a bit to see if they have a genuine expertise!

If this magic person can sit behind your shoulder and steer you through the process of clearing your HD of everything and reinstalling a nice fresh copy of Windows 98SE you will be delighted.

It is not a fast process because though you can reinstall the windows bit in under an hour, putting back the applications and the correct drivers and the twiddly bits you have will take hours longer.

What you need is someone like most who offer advice in this forum, someone who has been there, and done that. They will be the ones who will avoid things going pear shaped, and restore your pleasure with a good system running.

It really is time for a re-installation, Windows and its applications get very untidy and unstable after a while.

spikeychris 17:22 08 Jun 03

Agree that a re-install is overdue, however a very clean and simple fix would be SFC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…