Problem setting up a wireless network with XP

About Face 12:19 09 Dec 05

I am having a problem in setting up a small home network that consists of a new Dell pc, a laptop (with Intel Centrino) - both running XP Home -and a printer. The pc is connected (by ethernet cable) to a Belkin Wireless Router/Modem. The printer is connected to the pc with a USB cable. Both the pc and lap top connect to the broadband internet OK. The problem is that I cannot get the pc and laptop to 'talk' to each other for the purpose of file and printer sharing. I have run the Network Wizard dozens of times on both computers - but the damn things refuse to co-operate! Can anyone help?

Taff™ 12:34 09 Dec 05

Try turning off the firewalls temporarily and reboot everything. Put at least one document in each computers shared folder. Does that make any difference?

BEN MARSHALL 14:46 09 Dec 05

Right click on my computer and select propoties under the general tab, create a workgroup name such as Home, and do the same on the laptop making sure the work groups are the same and the computer names are different!

now go on your Dell with the laptop switched on, start menu > Run > type "CMD" > and then type "NET VIEW" > hit enter.

Do you see two pc's?
\\pc1 name
\\pc2 name

If so then go to the run command box and init type "\\pc1's name" and hit OK this should load pc1's Shared folder containing anything shared!

Now on the laptop right click on Shared Documents > Sharing and security > select share, and name the folder "LaptopShare" > Apply > OK Do the same on the Dell and name that "DellShare"

When they both are on in the start menu right click on my computer and select Map Network drive. Then browse for the networked folders address prob under "entire MS network" e.g of address "\\pc1name\LaptopShare" select the logon box and type the username & password for the laptop. click create. do the same on the Laptop but to the Dell shared folder.

File & Print sharing:

Win XP SP2! : START > RUN > FIREWALL.CPL > OK > Exeptions > check the box called file and pring sharing > repeate action for other PC.

right click on the printer and select share printer > share name "DellNETPrint" then on the Laptop search for networked printers in add printers > Network printer > you will need the Printer driver CD in the laptops drive for this to work and your setup.

Good look, any probs email me.

BEN MARSHALL 14:47 09 Dec 05

Sorry bought the spelling im dislecsic

About Face 16:15 09 Dec 05

Thanks for the advice Ben. Both pc's names came up on the Windows\system32 screen and it loaded the Shared folder. On the lap top I found my way into Shared Documents>Sharing & Security - but the name in the share box ("SharedDocs") couldn't be deleted or overwritten! Tried same with Dell but no joy. Any clues on how to proceed. Really grateful for yr help. This problem is driving me mad!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…