Problem setting up Pay as you go

exdragon 10:04 06 May 07

A friend has physically changed her computer from 98 to XP. Her PAYG (BT) was fine on the old system. I tried setting it up on the new one, but after having problems, was told how to do it by the BT Helpdesk.

I get various messages - one that her name and password aren't recognised (they are right) and one error 671, which when I google it, seems to refer to a driver problem. However, the new PC worked quite happily with the internet connection before she took it over.

One small problem is that she lives at the other side of the country, so if anyone can suggest anything, I won't be able to try it out until I take her home in a couple of weeks. Am I missing something obviouse? I've asked BT for a new installation disc in hte meantime, in case inspiration strikes!

MAJ 10:14 06 May 07

Try setting one up with 'Freedom' as a test, to see whether it's a settings problem or a BT connection problem (wrong password for example). Use these settings to set up a dialup connection:

Phone Number: 08456042079
Username: The telephone number you are dialling from
Password: freedom

It's charged at the 'lo-rate' of 1p/min at weekends and off-peak, so it'll do for a test. I use it as a backup should my BB connection fail.

MAJ 10:17 06 May 07

Also, have you tried loading new drivers for the modem, now that it is operating on XP? What is the make and model of the modem?

exdragon 10:35 06 May 07

I assume it's an internal modem and I can't remember its details - I meant to make a note of them when I left Cambridge, but forgot. I can't download new drivers as I can't get internet access and I can't do it from here as I don't have the name! She hasn't changed her operating system, it's a totally new machine.

Interesting about the Freedom - thanks for that.

MAJ 10:49 06 May 07

Ahh, if it's a new PC, it will already have the drivers installed, exdragon, unless she installed the modem herself after buying the PC. Phone her up, get her to set up a connection with freedom on her PC, set it to be the default connection and see if she can connect to the internet using it. Here are step by step instructions to make it easier for you to explain over the phone. click here

exdragon 11:01 06 May 07

Thanks, MAJ - she's here on holiday with me & I'm taking her home in a couple of weeks so I'll give it a go. She's not computer literate, being elderly, so I'll need to sort it for her.

Err - please note, chaps, my comment above does not imply that the elderly are not up to scratch in the technology department, just that she isn't!!

MAJ 11:11 06 May 07

Okay, exdragon, keep us informed, at least you should be able to connect and log on to the forum using the freedom connection. Someone should then be able to help with the BT connection when you are in front of the PC. If you still can't connect using the Freedom connection (it might be busy, try it a few times) and it still throws up that 671 error message, then go to Device manager and uninstall the modem from in there, reboot your PC and let Windows reload the drivers.

Stuartli 11:24 06 May 07

Error message 671, according to:

click here

is: "Cannot read the device type from the media .INI file."

It may be something as simple as not having the UK as the country - many dialup modems have the US as the Default.

Some advice which may help:

click here

The basics are the same.

exdragon 16:20 06 May 07

Thanks, both. I'll have a go! The BT chap gave me a different number compared with the one she used to use previously, and prefixed it with 147,, (or 1470,, - I can't remember which, but I wrote it down!)

I'll tick as completed at present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…