problem setting up netgear

nosmo 15:30 23 Mar 07

Please can someone help me with this.I put the setup disc in drive,it says I have no internet connection.I turned off AVG and Google popup blocker.Still says no connection.
One thing,when disc starts,a couple of small black screens flash on and the off very quickly,too quick to see anything.
Nosmo

nosmo 16:07 23 Mar 07

Sorry I should have said running windows xp home on packard bell computer
nosmo

Kate B 16:53 23 Mar 07

Check the obvious stuff first. Is the router plugged into the phone line - with a filter? Are you trying to set it up wirelessly? always best to do it using an ethernet cable. And - this might sound daft but always worth being sure - do you actually have your own broadband account on that line or have you been sharing a neighbour's wirelessly?

nosmo 17:27 23 Mar 07

Kate B.I am told first step put CD in and run setup wizard.If it trying to find my Internet via the ethernet connection,it won't because nothing else is connected yet.
Nosmo

Forum Editor 19:37 23 Mar 07

you should normally make sure that the router is NOT powered on until the setup wizard tells you to do it.

The setup routine will normally check your computer's network configuration first, and will then prompt you for your ISP username and password. This information must be saved to the router's memory, and for that to happen you must have the PC and router connected via the ethernet cable that comes with all routers - you cannot set up a router wirelessly.

If your router has its own inbuilt modem you'll be prompted to connect the router to the ADSL phone line at some point, and if it's a standalone ethernet router you'll be prompted to connect it to your ADSL or cable modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple