problem setting up my home network

mitey_won 13:30 09 Jan 05

hi

I have set up a 2 pc wireless network in the same room, both pcs sharing internet through an integrated wireless broadband modem/router.
Internet access is no problem, works fine.
My problem is setting up file sharing and shared printing.

I've run the network setup wizard on both pcs. I've enabled print sharing on both pcs. Both computers have seperate network names, but they dont seem to be able to talk to eachother.

Both pcs pick eachother up (most of the time) in "my network places" but when i double click on the icon for the other pc it says something like..."check with administrator for access....network path not found".

When i go to set up the printer on the pc2 (the printer is connected via usb to pc1 - printer share enabled) it finds pc1 but no printer.

can anyone help?

thanks

(notes; both pcs running xp pro, windows firewall is off, internet connection available, all devices switchen on)

LeadingMNMs 13:35 09 Jan 05

Are you running any other firewall, other than XPs one ? Most of the time problems like these relate to a firewall blocking network traffic.

And easy way to see if traffic is blocked is to use a ping command. To do this open a command prompt from Accessories and type "ping PC1" where 'PC1' is the name that you gave the other machine. The ping command will then send 4 packets of data and return the results of whether they were recieved or the sending timed out.

mitey_won 13:43 09 Jan 05

hi MNM

Brilliant!! it was zonelarm that was blocking it. I never thought about that, just assumed there was something i was doing wrong in the set up. fantastic, thanks man.

Mitey

LeadingMNMs 13:50 09 Jan 05

To get it working with ZoneAlarm you need to add the IP address of the other computer to the Trusted Zone.

To do this, open ZoneAlarm, select Firewall on the left hand side and then the Zones tab. Then at the bottom right, click Add and select IP address. Set the zone as Trusted, enter the IP address of the other computer and then give it a name and click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now