Problem setting keyboard language

MabelAnnie 21:54 14 May 06

After reinstalling Windows 98SE, the keyboard reverted to default US English settings. This swapped some of the punctuation keys.
In Control Panel we have tried to reset the keyboard language to "English (British)" to match our keyboard.
However when we select this and click apply, it prompts us to insert the Windows 98 Second Edition CD ROM.
On doing this, and clicking the OK button to the prompt, It comes up with an error message saying "The file kbduk.kbd on windows 98 second edition CD ROM cannot be found.
Insert windows 98 second edition CD ROM in the selected drive, and click OK"
This message keeps repeating and, even if the correct drive letter is selected in the dialogue box, the file never loads.
How can we get out of this loop and install the keyboard settings??

Stuartli 21:57 14 May 06

Do you have two optical drives i.e. a CD/DVD-ROM drive and a rewriter?

If so, the rewriter will be the Master (or should be set as Master) and the ROM drive the Slave.

In such cases it's the rewriter that will be the D drive and not the ROM drive.

So try using the CD in the rewriter (if, of course, you do have two drives!)

MabelAnnie 22:13 14 May 06

Thank you for your reply, however there is only the one drive on the PC.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:38 14 May 06

You need to tell it where to find this file, very irritating I know when all you have is a list of cab files but unless you can expand the pathway a bit your file will remain unfound.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:43 14 May 06

This may be of use

6/26/2005 10:17:55 AM Re: Missing kbduk.kbd
For Windows 98 SE this is in the Win98_50.cab file

MabelAnnie 22:51 14 May 06

I did think maybe the exact folder had to be indicated, but there is absolutly no way of knowing which is the correct folder. There are lots of folders on the 98 SE CD.
I even tried searching for "kbduk.kbd" in the find files and folders. I searched the CD including sub folders, but the file was not found.
Could this be because it is in a cab file? How do i know which cab file it is?

MabelAnnie 22:53 14 May 06

Thank You this may help. Sorry, i was typing my previous post at the same time.

MabelAnnie 19:55 15 May 06

Thankyou, i selected the folder Win98_50.cab was in and it has installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…