a problem sending & receiving emails

palinka 17:49 27 Apr 09

My ISP is Pipex; my friend’s is BT; both are broadband connections; she uses XP and OE; I use Vista and Windows Mail.
Until a month or two ago my friend had only a dial-up account with fsmail.
I have both her addresses but I normally write to her BT address – and none of my emails arrive.
If I write to her previous (fsmail) address she receives my emails – in OE which is now, supposedly, a BT broadband connection .
BUT other people are able to write to her at her BT address without problems.
Also, she can write to me only from her BT address, not from fsnet.
So the current situation is that we can exchange emails provided I write to her at her fsnet address AND she remembers to reply from her BT address.
Can anyone please explain this (and suggest a solution?)

Also, I don’t understand how she can receive emails addressed to her dial-up fsmail address on OE given that OE is now used by her BT broadband; I can’t receive my previous dial-up Tiscali mail on my Pipex broadband – I have to use Webmail if I still want to access that previous tiscali account.

johnnyrocker 20:10 27 Apr 09

what happens if you send a reply to one of your friends mails?

johnny

palinka 20:47 27 Apr 09

short answer is that I'm not sure! It was only this afternoon that we finally realised what was happening and we didn't explore that option because the problem had occurred with 5 or 6 emails that I'd sent to her in the last week or so, none of which she'd received.
I've now sent a reply to one of hers and I'll let you know.

mgmcc 21:02 27 Apr 09

Outlook Express, or any other email program, can be configured to retrieve incoming mail from as many POP3 servers as you want provided you have the Server Address, a valid Username and Password. Your friend should be able to receive mail from both her FSMAIL and BT addresses and, generally, would also be able to send mail from either address. However, BT will only allow mail with a BT address to be sent from their SMTP server, which will prevent her from sending mail with her FSMAIL address. I'm not aware of any other ISP that imposes this restriction.

palinka 09:03 27 Sep 09

now resolved via a new thread started in Sept 09 - turned out my mails were going traight into her spam folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac