problem sending photos by e-mail

dsm 22:03 03 Jan 08

when trying to send photos by email in windows vista error message is ::the connection to the server has failed. subject "change of PC" account btinternetcom server btinternet.com Protocol SMTP Port 25 , secure (SSL)no, socket error:10060, error number 0x800CCCOE. Can anyone please help

brundle 22:10 03 Jan 08

Change SMTP server to mail.btinternet.com

Ivor_Monkey 22:12 03 Jan 08

It is best not to send photos by email, either the quality of the image is too poor or size of the file to large. Your best bet is to use osomething like picassa. Great and free.

DieSse 22:41 03 Jan 08

Sending photos by email is just fine, and pretty much what the whole world does.

Yes, you have to be careful about the file size and quality - but you can email decent pictures just fine.

Picasa doesn't really affect that one way or another. It does allow you to put your pictures on the web, which means people can go look at them instead of you emailing them. That doesn't affect the quality/file size relationship at all.

dsm 20:56 08 Jan 08

Thanks brundle. have solved my problem by adding "mail" and also clicking the authentication box.

Many thanks.

Ivor_Monkey 09:06 10 Jan 08

DieSse
If you are talking about sending a few low resolution snaps, then you have not read my comments properly.

Here are a few reasons why emailing prized images is not such a good idea:
1) Some email programs and ISPs have size limits for transmissions. So you may find your emails not sent or may be forced to 1) send (or receive) a series of separate emails with attached hi-resolution images or 2) reduce the resolution of all images. If the point is to share quality images, who would want to do either of these things.

2) It is a seriously bad breach of etiquette to clog up a recipient’s inbox with emails of several megabytes, esp when an alternative exists. Especially bad if prior approval has not been given.

3) Picasa et al allows interesting slideshows to be provided.

4) Emailing images is so 1990s.

5) Just look at serious photography websites and you will see how popular programs such as picasa are amongst serious photographers.

Technotiger 09:30 10 Jan 08

Sorry mate - but IMHO you are talking hog-wash! I have sent and received hundreds, if not thousands, of Photographs by email. Quality was not impaired in any way.

Including many taken by my son for his on-line magazine click here

anchor 11:04 10 Jan 08

I also often send pictures to friends by e-mail; (in my opinion this method is as valid today as ever it was). I may create a web gallery if there are a lot of pictures to show.

I usually reduce the file size somewhat, more so if my recipient is still on dial up. MS Outlook does this easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced