Problem sending emails from Outlook

MoiraB 18:58 25 Oct 06

I changed over to BT broadband yesterday and have just set up Outlook with all the BT servers etc. I have no trouble receiving emails which have been sent to me but whenever I try to send one it comes back as undeliverable. Can anyone help. I'm using Office 97 and Windows XP. Had no problems previously with my other ISP.

Thanks

rawprawn 19:05 25 Oct 06

Check the settings
pop.btinertnet.com
SMTP.btinternet.com
I don't use BT but I think those settings are correct.

MoiraB 19:07 25 Oct 06

Thanks rawprawn. I have checked the settings and they are OK.

VoG II 19:09 25 Oct 06

Are you sure it is trying to send from your new BT account? I can't remember Outlook 97 but in Outlook 2003 there is an Accounts button that you can use to change which account to send from when composing a message.

MoiraB 19:13 25 Oct 06

Yes, I deleted the previous account and set up BT instead. As I said it receives mail but won't send it.

rawprawn 19:21 25 Oct 06

Have you more than one account listed? if so is BT set to default?

Terry Brown 19:22 25 Oct 06

Silly question, but have you entered STMP instead of smtp, easlily done-hard to spot, and try pop3 instead of pop
Terry

pcbobby 19:33 25 Oct 06

Just a thought, but have you included Outlook to the Exceptions list in the Windows Firewall

acesupport 19:39 25 Oct 06

Have you got the latest service packs for Outlook 97. We've had problems before with Outlook 97 (and other versions) where it won't communicate correctly with the BT servers.

Try something like Mozilla this will tell you whether the issue is with Outlook!

click here

p;3 20:00 25 Oct 06

if it helps;in OE which I use;try this; in Outlook;tools/accounts/mail/properties/servers/
and see if "my server requires authentication" is ticked,which seems to be a requirement of BT; try that and see if you can then send mails

The Reiver 20:10 25 Oct 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009