problem SENDING email

palinka 13:37 01 Mar 11

My OS is Vista and i use windows Mail

I have recently moved to Btinternet as my ISP and everything is fine except that I can’t SEND emails. ( for why I moved see my recent thread on Consumerwatch)

Incoming emails arrive without problems, but outgoing simply don’t go.
The error message that appears is “no. 815…remote server is not responding.. could be caused by an invalid value for the service name field…”

I have a btinternet address of course, but I use a domain name and I need the email to show the domain name. If it ALSO shows the btinternet address that’s OK, but the domain name is essential
Email TO the domain name is set to be forwarded to my btinternet address and it is ARRIVING without problems. So too is mail apparently being forwarded to my new btinternet address by my previous ISP .
Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Any solutions, please?

mgmcc 08:39 04 Mar 11

At one time, and it seems it may still be the case, BT would only allow messages with a BT email address to be sent via their servers, thereby excluding personal domain addresses.

In order to send mail from a personal domain address, this had to be registered with BT and it was necessary to show that you owned the domain.

As far as I'm aware, no other ISP imposes this limitation.

palinka 10:34 04 Mar 11

thank you both; I've now narrowed down the problem but it's not solved yet.
Nowadays BT DOES seem to accept domain names and I notice that my domain name (together with my "real" email address)appears in emails sent to and from BT webmail. It's sending thosae emails from Windows Mail that is causing the problem and I now think that's because I use msgtag and I haven't changed my email details there.(I'd forgoten about that.)
UNfortunately I've messed up the settings in msgtag (in my attempts to deal with these problems) so I'll have to wait for that to be sorted. But I'm hopeful now that THAT will solve it.

palinka 12:49 13 Mar 11

Well,I can send now, but msgtag is not tagging,although it's switched to ON, AND I keep receiving error 553 messages whenever I send AND Btinternet keep sending "we have noticed you have a problem, we will fix it for you"[or similar wording] messages, AND I keep being asked to sign in to btinternet.

I'll start a new thread!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…