problem with scanner...driver?

edenworkshops 12:36 PM 21 Dec 11

Hello

Thank you for coming to my rescue.

I am running WinXP sp3

My scanner is a Canon Lide 20.

For years I have accessed my scanner through a twain connection in Photoshop.

For a few months now the only way I could get the scanner to function, was to unplug the scanner and switch it back on, as the scanner went through a few clicks and whirs, which I take it is some form of scanner recognition, I had to quickly click import in Photoshops and provided I was quick enough to click import when the scanner was clicking and whirring, the scanner would function.

If I was not quick enough and the scanner finished its series of clicks and whirs before I clicked import,I would get an error message, I did not make a note of the errror message, sorry. In which I case I had to unplug the scanner and go through the process again.

But yesterday when I tried this it didnt work, when in Photoshop I clicked import, the scanner clicked and whirred, and I got an error message, which reads. ......................................................................

Turn Off Scanner and follow instructions in the manual.

Scanner driver will be closed.

Error 2,115,0 ......................................................................

I had a look and cannot see any manual associated with the scanner.

I am about to go on the net and locate new drivers for the scanner, not that I have any idea what the problem is, but thought I might do something useful while waiting for some kind soul to reply.

Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions? .... I think I will try to locate this error code on the Canon site...good start!

Thanks

Richard

edenworkshops 14:08 PM 21 Dec 11

I didnt manage to get a definition of the error code, but I found a thread where it was being discussed, the main thrust of the thread came down in favour of fitting a double shielded usb cable, quite a few people found that by replacing the regular usb cable with a double shielded one cured the error code 2,115,0 and things worked normaly from then on.

Do you think it could be the cable? (comments please).

This time round I uninstalled and re-installed the Canon software and drivers and re-started the PC.

For the first couple of tries I was able to use the scanner normaly, but then things went wrong, when I tried to scan I got an error message which read. ......................................................................... Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed. .........................................................................

When I closed this error message I got yet another error message which read. ......................................................................... Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the TWAIN directory. .........................................................................

One last thing, this time round I installed the scanner manual.

Under trouble shooting I went through the 3 possibilities listed and did what they said, which led to me uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and software and re-starting the PC.

No mention of the error code 2,115,0 in the manual that I can find.

Does all this point to a suspect cable, or has my scanner died on me?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

edenworkshops 14:12 PM 21 Dec 11

Just thought I should add.

In the scanner manual these were the 3 possibilities I was given, I worked my way through these.

Cause 1: Scanning unit locked.

Solution: Unplug the USB cable, and set the lock switch on the scanner to the unlocked position.

Cause 2: Incorrectly connected USB cable.

Solution: Check the USB cable to ensure that they are correctly attached. Do not use a USB hub. Connect the USB cable directly to a USB port on the computer.

Cause 3: Scanner not identified.

Solution: Check to see if [Other devices] category appears in the [Device Manager]. 1. Right click [My Computer] and select [Properties]. 2. Select the [Device Manager] tab or click the [Device Manager] button in the [Hardware] tab. 3. If the [Other devices] category appears, the scanner is not indentified. 4. Uninstall the scanner driver (ScanGear CS) using the CanoScan Setup Utility CD-ROM and restart the computer. 5. Reinstall the scanner driver and restart the computer.

Richard

edenworkshops 23:47 PM 21 Dec 11

Maybe I freaked everyone out with so much information, take your time.

Richard

mobing 08:50 AM 22 Dec 11

you do all things yourself , thaks for your info .:lol

chub_tor 08:59 AM 22 Dec 11

It sounds to me as if it is a hardware problem rather than software that has kicked this problem off. If you have already changed the USB cable, have you tried a different USB socket on your PC? You might also want to try refreshing the USB ports by removing and reinstalling their software click here for instructions

edenworkshops 09:22 AM 22 Dec 11

I dont have a spare usb cable to try out. The one I have has a sort of cyclyndrical plastic container at one end of the cable, I thought it is special to the scanner.

I did try different ports, no success.

I have a neat piece of software that lets me quickly see my usb devices and uninstall and re-install their software, so done that too.

I hope in a way that it is a hardware fault, I have just been offered a new epson scanner that cost 200 euros for 30 euros, I like the idea of getting a scanner back working, I use it quite a lot.

So, what makes you think it is a hardware problem, and by hardware do you include the cable in that, could it be just a case of needing a new cable?

Thank you

Richard

chub_tor 09:41 AM 22 Dec 11

From your long posts listing the error messages I considered that the most probable cause was hardware, you have done the obvious software updates and that has not solved the problem. And yes I include the cable in the hardware. The scanner cable that you have with a cylindrical container is fitted with an extra RF shield, a good idea if you have lots of other cables running near it but it is not essential and I would try any USB cable that has compatible fittings (usually known as a USB A-B cable) - but you need to check what fittings you have. If it is the standard fitting you can pick up a cable in the Pound Shop just to try out - it won't be very well shielded but if you keep it away from your other cables it will at least show you if it is a cable problem or a scanner problem. If you have been offered a bargain new scanner then why not get it anyway? A spare is always useful!

edenworkshops 10:35 AM 22 Dec 11

Hmmm.

We are going to get the new scanner, its a bargain it comes with a lot of film scanning attachments, not that we should use them.

Apart from that in order to test the cable theory, could I just use a normal usb cable? ie not a shielded cable just a run of the mill usb cable, I think I have a sort of shielded usb cable, I got it with some hardwarem the cable is sheathed in some form of metal braiding, is this shielding?

Thank you

Richard

chub_tor 13:17 PM 22 Dec 11

Yes you can try the normal usb cable you have as long as the connections fit the scanner and the PC. As I said, just try and run it away from other cables that may be carrying data, that's a precaution worth taking but may not be of any great significance.

edenworkshops 13:34 PM 22 Dec 11

Damn.

The scanner usb cable has a normal usb connection at one end, but a special plug on the other end, not a normal usb connector.

Buying new scanner after Christmas. Hey Ho.

Richard

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…