Problem with Scandisc

mule 2 23:19 19 Feb 03

When i try to use Scandisc or Defragmenter i get a msg that there is insufficient memory.
I am running Win 98 2nd edition with an Amd Duron
Cpu with 192 mb of ram whith 63% free. I dont know what the speed is. There is 17.5 Gb unused on
the local Disc.
I have done a "clean boot" via "selective start-up
but on retrying Sdisc. and Dfrag.i get same msg.Can any one advise an old wrinkly who is trying to make the leap from quill pens to CPS. PLEASE.
MULE 2

scooby43 23:25 19 Feb 03

Hi mule 2

have you tried going to start --> Run and then type in mscongfig and then you can see what programs you have running sometimes things like antivirus software and firewall can cause problems if they are running at the same time

cheers

scooby43 23:27 19 Feb 03

oops sorry I mean msconfig

joeyst 23:31 19 Feb 03

Error Message: Not Enough Memory to Run ScanDisk
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 95

This article was previously published under Q134986
SYMPTOMS
When you try to run ScanDisk, you may receive the following error message:

Your computer does not have enough available memory to run ScanDisk now. Quit some running programs, then try running ScanDisk again.
You may receive this error message even though no other programs are running.
CAUSE
This error can occur if system policies have been enabled on the computer, and the profile for the current user includes the "Hide Drives in My Computer" restriction.
RESOLUTION
The "Hide Drives in My Computer" restriction must be disabled before the current user can run ScanDisk. Contact your System Administrator, or have someone with the correct privileges log on to the computer and run ScanDisk.

joeyst 23:33 19 Feb 03
  mule 2 00:30 20 Feb 03

SCOOBY43 AND JOEYST,
THANKS FOR YOUR MSGS.
WILL TRY THEM TOMORROW AM WHEN MY BRAIN GETS BACK INTO GEAR.AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. MULE 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…