Problem saving Word Document

sharpe 13:24 04 Aug 06

I was doing some editing the other night and had finished and saved the document (a large one), safely I thought.

Then I shut down the whole computer, and an error message came up saying that WORD.EXE failed.

I cancelled it and thought nothing of it, but on logging on again last night I found signs that the editing I'd done hadn't been saved. Is there any way I can get the edited version back? Was it because word.exe crashed?

Diemmess 14:24 04 Aug 06

Word is pretty stable though very long or complex documents do rather push it.
I think you have lost the edited work this time.

Have you tried Tools > Options > Save and setting the time between auto saves?

There is the option of Master documents (which I have never needed to use and don't understand) but imagine this is a way of coping with smaller chunks of the whopper at a time.

Word may have been cut off while it was saving or closing and simply lost it.
I have had this happen in other apps where RAM was at a premium because I was doing a montage or playing with all sorts of imports into a different application.
Whatever, when the smoke has cleared all the recent work has disappeared.

As grumpyguts suggested Save frequently and if it is that important "Save_As something else now and then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 04 Aug 06

Agree with all of the above however if you are lucky the temporay document may still be in the temp folders do a search for files starting $

sharpe 15:08 04 Aug 06

Thanks for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…